OT. News!

Yes, both a takeaway from a chippy, although, as the 1971 chippy was a stop on the way back from the pub, I suspect I probably bought a small portion of cod, rather than the medium I bought last week. Not that I have seen small portions offered in any chippy for many years.

I think last week's place had just put up its prices as a woman came in to buy a £1 bag of chips and she was surprised that it now cost £1.50. Pre-pandemic, the same takeaway meal there was about £5 IIRC.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I can remember paying 15p for cod and chips in Camden Town in mid-1971. I thought then that it was dear (in Liverpool, the typical price was between about 1s/9d (9.5p) and two bob (10p)).

Reply to
JNugent

In my local chippy it's £11 for medium cod and chips and it's been that price for around 6 months. In past 2 years the price has risen by around

30%, which is common for other nearby traditional chippies. It is good quality freshly cooked cod and good quality chips.

Some chippies around my way have resorted to "fish" and chips without stating what the fish is. In my experience the generic fish isn't as tasty or nice as cod or haddock.

Reply to
alan_m

Pollack is widely used as a generic white fish these days. I did, however, know a chap who worked in the kitchen at a well known holiday camp back in the 1960s. He told me their fish came in a roll, like a carpet. They used a shaped cutter to cut a piece of the fish carpet out. There were different shapes, to suit whatever fish the diner had ordered.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Thanks. I had been wondering why I was receiving £10 with no explanation every year. No letter saying why, it just appears in my bank account. You learn something every day.

Reply to
Davey

Our local chippy is not very good, so were were never great users of it. But I went there last week for a haddock and chips, and it cost the same for one person as we used to pay for the same meal for two people a couple of years ago, £11. They have only ever offered large fish. The best chippy is the mobile one that stops in the next village on Friday afternoons, but he is gone by 7pm, which is earlier than I want to eat dinner. And he runs out of haddock by about 6:15.

Reply to
Davey

My local chippie does "pensioner special" which is a small portion of fish and a small portions of chips. But if there are two to feed the much better value is medium cod/haddock and chips and share the contents equally between two.

These days of higher fish prices my local only fries fish to order, even at busy times, and the wait time for fish is 7 to 12 minutes, depending on which fish and size being ordered.

While I would recommend my local for fish, chips, chicken (spit roasted) and ribs and wouldn't do the same for their sausages which are somewhat white coloured inside suggesting very little meat content.

Reply to
alan_m

Ohh, You bitch you!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't they have to declare the full scientific name of the fish as they do for fish bought at supermarkets (and presumably fishmongers)?

Reply to
Max Demian

:-)

Reply to
JNugent

PS: I think it's labelled "XB".

Why not "CB" is anyone's guess.

The word "Christmas" doesn't start with an X, after all.

Reply to
JNugent

In Greek , it does.

Χριστούγεννα
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where is it so labelled?

Reply to
Davey

You're in Greece, then?

Reply to
JNugent

It's ok, I found it, thanks. I'll know next year.

Reply to
Davey

On your bank statement and/or on the screen displayed for internet banking.

Like this:

[SFW]

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised when looking at internet banking just then that HMRC are paying me a modest rebate on Monday. Enough for a Christmas present.

Reply to
JNugent

OK. I'd already responded.

Reply to
JNugent

Against the credit on your bank statement:

[yourNIN] DWP XB for Xmas Bonus

see also WFP for Winter Fuel Payment and SP for State Pension.

nib

Reply to
nib

On my Bank Statement - following my NI number and DWP:

Reply to
charles

But don't go mad and spend it all at once.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet