OT: Myth or true

My phone line is 5km from the exchange. Ten years ago it was all uprated for my ISDN line and the local guy said if BB ever came to the exchange this line would be ok for it, but at less than max speeds. He was dead right - 1.7Mbps was all it ever did, but at least it was consistent. ADSL2 wouldn't have made the slightest difference to that, either.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Note the link to:

As I said elsewhere, one disconnection a day is unlikely to make a difference. However think about cases where there are other random disconnections during the day. The additional one is likely to be more significant in those circumstances. Its not much use extrapolating from a sample set of one (i.e. your individual experience) and assuming that will apply in all cases.

Reply to
John Rumm

I wouldn't say I turned it off frequently. Maximum of 5 times over 7 days.

Reply to
Thumper

If you are on virgin cable, then its does not matter anyway, since the comments above apply to the rate adaptive ADSL variants.

Reply to
John Rumm

My HP Photojet printer is just as bad. Goes through over a minute of strange noises and random carriage returns with on screen message that "printer preparation in progress". Every time its turned on and randomly after printing. Probably uses more ink that way than any actual printing.

Reply to
Thumper

That used to be the case where the first (length-four) digits would be the nearest exchange it was convenient to get a connection to, but improved technology mean that numbers could be moved almost anywhere within the same STD area. It can still be a generally good guide to the general location, in Sheffield 23x was Wadsley Bridge exchange, so a 23x number is fairly likely to be in that generalised area, especially if the subscriber hasn't moved address.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Tells me exactly that. That turning it off once when I'm not home, and once when I'm back home and want to go online, makes no difference to the speed.

BTW I'm thinking of the BT infinity modem/router now. As we have established my Virgin cable modem/router is not affected.

Reply to
Thumper

Got all of next week off so router will be on from yesterday to sunday week. I'll leave it on until the following monday or tuesday, give it a realistic chance for any speed improvements.

Reply to
Thumper

I know this thread ended about 3 weeks ago but I have just proved to myself that consistent disconnecting from the mains in the mornings and re-connecting in the evenings makes virtually no difference to connection speeds.

I have had this laptop connected to my VirginMedia cable modem and am still getting 18-20Mb for my up to 20Mb connection. I've used my nephews BT infinity connection and got 45Mb download speed. That was just 40 minutes after plugging the modem and router back on after 8 hours disconnected.

Reply to
Thumper

In message , Thumper writes

IIRC someone in the thread already pointed out that if the effect exists it's on DSL with Cu/Al telephone wires that go back to the exchange, not on fibre optic based services that you've just described. Apologies if I've missed something.

Reply to
Nick

I thought we had established that cable modems don't have the same issues with disconnections that DSLAMs do anyway?

Reply to
John Rumm

It shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to a *cable* modem unless you power cycle so often that you trigger the ISPs fault detection mechanism for a suspected dodgy cable.

Once a day shouldn't bother ADSL either but more than half a dozen drops in a day will start to cause problems. Not sure what the relevant figure will be for cable but eventually they will do something.

Frequent line drops on ADSL running at more than several per day will force a spiral of death drop in the downlink sync speed and cause the BT exchange hardware to back off the maximum permitted download rate.

My ADSL BRAS profile is presently compromised by an unstable uplink.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You're probably underwired.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I had that too. problem didn't go away until they 'changed something at the exchange' after all the other wiring was changed. To no avail. the exchange is where the uplink signal is weakest....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher