OT: Myth or true

One thing worth trying is to disconnect the ring wire from the master socket to all the extensions. That can introduce noise into the system which lowers performance. (note that the microfilters contain their own ring capacitor, so there is no need for the ring line even with phones that use it)

Yup, but I share your frustration - if you are in a rural location on long wires it can seem like prospects for any improvement are slim in the near to medium term future.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah. well this is UK.d-i-y, and of course Eire is not currently part of that entity..

holy shit. Makes BT look like the modernest thing there ever was..that's

20CN tech. Not even 21CN..

well what I am saying is that you can squeeze a bit more out of what you have if the more modern kit is deployed.

no. your current limitation is a fixed rate service. If you CAN go to an 'up to 8Mbps' you will treble your speeds.

well its entirely down to lack of investment by Eircom.

check if rate adaptive is available at the exchange and if it is, do it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would guess my line is also about 5km here as well, on ADSL max I get a sync at about 2.2 to 2.4, and BRAS profile of 2Mbps down. Up is 448K.

Reply to
John Rumm

yes.. I am a shade shorter - about 4km and the difference the few extra meters make is remarkable. My nearest neighbour - 300 m up the hill barely gets 2...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

- sorry - should have mentioned it before. Expat. Brit

Small country, near enough monopoly supplier, deep recession, etc etc. It was touch & go as to whether we could get broadband at all - let alone 'fast' broadband.... so I guess I shouldn't really complain..

The only speed upgrade that was offered the last time I asked was 2meg with the same "128" upload speed, and then engineer reckoned that I'd be luck to see 1.3megs of the theoretical 2meg download.

Not just yet..... There's all kinds of wild promises about how they're going to roll out

24meg broadband - but it's going to take a long time to reach us out in the sticks...

Our next-door neighbour (100yds up the road) was told that they couldn't get wired broadband - suggesting that we're on the edge of the current range...

Thanks for the info - also about tweaking the phone wiring inside the house - I'll give it a try when I get an idle moment.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Removing the bell wire and basically reducing the house wiring to a bare minimum made a big difference here. Went from about 3.5 to 5.5Mbps, we're about 1.5 miles from the exchange.

We have a wired phone in the bedroom for emergencies, and a base station next to the router with some wireless handsets around the house.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sounds myth to me, and not a very common myth because a google search don't straight away pick it up. It make no real difference, but to save electricity turning off is a good thing.

If you are having download spped troubles at peak time for things like streaming movies. Always use a wired connection this prevent competition for bandwidth with all the other wireless frequencies in your neighbourhood.

Reply to
hewhowalksamongus

I have a Virgin cable modem.

Reply to
Thumper

Meant Huwaii, not Hualingan, but same difference. Yep, cheap & nasty but widely used.

Are BT the biggest broadband provider? Either way, ropey is the reality for the much of the kit out there. To give balance, a nasty Huwaii TalkTalk modem of my aquaintance is a lot better since its internal wireless died and I had to attach a spare wireless router to it.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Not difficult to find really is it?:

"The IP profile changes over time, and is derived from a consideration of the worst downstream sync rate used by the DSL modem during some recent period of time. If circumstances cause a drop in sync rate, the IP profile decreases immediately. If conditions later improve, the IP profile will only increase after a certain delay time. The time taken for this increase to occur depends on a number of factors and can be between 75 minutes and several days. As frequent disconnections may be misinterpreted as connection problems, it is recommended that modems are left connected while not in use, in order to avoid unnecessary decreases in the IP profile.[2]"

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep.

Idealy only have one filter at the master socket and feed the general house phone wiring from that. Also have the modem close to the master socket if possible so the wiring to it is not running through the relatively electrically noisy house. Cat5 is pretty noise immune...

Might be worth trying different filters as well they are not all created equal... I bought a faceplate one, yes the daytime sync rate was higher but at night it couldn't sustain that rate and droppped back, overall the speed ended up lower. I currently use an old (pre 2005 old...) BT MF50 "soap on a rope" type.

Might be worth borrowinga few different ones if you can and trying each for a few days. Lot's of small improvements can all add up to a large improvement is speed. Well it would if you weren't stuck with a 1 Mbps service... B-(

I'd go for non-existant for some places even in the long term with Broadband UK and the "universal access" at 2 Mbps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Might have been a good idea to mention it!

Because everyone (including me) assumed you were talking ADSL, you got no pertinent answers.

I think it makes no difference for Virgin cable - but ours is on 24/7 so do not have actual experience of regular switch-offs.

Reply to
polygonum

On use something like inSSider (free)

to check which channels your neighbours are using and set your own router to a free, or less congested, channel.

Reply to
alan

Read the above with some scepticism as their own filter is given the highest quality rating.

I've use the ASDLNation (now taken over by Tandy) faceplate filter and find it gives me no ASDL problems.

The following are often recommended as having the better faceplate filters

alan

It was an ADSLNation faceplate (probably an XTE2005) that didn't work well for me. There are so many variables that any filter that is half decent will produce acceptable results but another half decent one on that particular line might do better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Would the same apply for a BT Infinity modem / router? As the person who told me the original info uses that provider.

Reply to
Thumper

Cable and the various flavours of telephone line connection (e.g. ADSL) are entirely different technologies with entirely different characteristics. I have no idea about any BT box.

We have a relatively old cable modem supplied by Virgin (as it has to be) and our own Apple Airport router.

Reply to
polygonum

BT Infinity (aka FTTC) is a VDSL technology for the final hop to the consumer. While similar to ADSL in many respects it uses a different rate adaptation mechanism IIUC.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's just taken from the same Plusnet advice that was called into question upthread.

Our router is turned off every night and sometimes during the day with no adverse effects. Far from suffering, the sync speed has actually increased since first moving to the current service.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I have a Cisco Linksys router which has worked alright since I bought it.

Reply to
Thumper