OT: Mystery object

Well it's only fair to admit that I know it's an electrical component as there were a couple of wires attached to the base of the roughly cylindrical object it was part of. There was an axial hole in the object above the middle of the plate and I suspect it might have been part of a radio aerial.
I suspect that a conductor would have been threaded through the two holes between the ends of the "S".
Does that sound plausible?
Tim
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:47:57 +0000 (UTC), Tim

Ship's aerial rigging part?

Um, it's not a mechanical component.
Tim

Could still be an aerial rigging part, for the actual antenna wiring.

From its position in the cylinder, I think it's the base of an aerial and the plate was inductively coupled to the antenna which would have sat over the "S". I don't really understand radio stuff though (seems to be a lot of magic involved) so I could be wrong.
The plate itself was not in a position for hanging or fixing anything to it.
Tim