OT: Mystery object

I was walking on the beach the other day when I found this.

it was actually encased in a lot of other crud (it had been in the sea a long time) but the magpie in me made me keep this bit.

I know what I *think* it is but I'm not expert and could be wrong. It seems to be made of copper, 5mm thick, 6 cm long and 4 cm wide.

Of no use to me whatsoever but a rather pleasingly chucky thing that my wife will want to throw away instantly. ;-)

Any thoughts?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Two thoughts.

One is some kind of self locking yacht fitment that has been chromed but the chrome has gone..those tracks look a bit like the sorts or things you have where you want a one way ratchet sprag clutch.

The other thing it reminds me of is a microwave cavity designed to do something with microwaves.

But those were never my forte, so maybe someone has a better idea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You couldn't possibly throw that away. Far too interesting - whatever it is.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tim is not intending to throw it away. He is married!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That looks like bronze and it looks very similar to the baseplate for a cam cleat on a sailing yacht.

Steve Firth

I have no idea what it is, but if I found one I would not throw it away either. I am not married, we just live together :-)

Reply to
johno

"Tim Downie" wrote in news:jesca1$c64$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Ahhhhhhhhhh, the thing!

Get out of here with that boom boom boom and don't come back again!!!

Heliotrope Smith

Keep it, throw her away!

Looks like some sort of ball race with detents, so some kind of plate for a switch/latch for a winch, on/off/release/brake .. whatever it is it's a bloody interesting find though ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

So that's where I left it!

Reply to
Farmer Giles

salty old sea-dogs call them). Juan Sheet.

Reply to
grimly4

Don't you use copper on boats something to do with sacrificial electrodes...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That was my feeling - I sort of want one (but don't know why).

Reply to
PeterC

Not much actual copper, no. Bronze is used a lot and long immersion in seawater will make it look pink or copper coloured.

Sacrificial anodes are used to protect underwater metal components that are made from bronze and stainless. These anodes are aluminium, magnesium or zinc not copper.

Reply to
Steve Firth

While facing east, rub it three times with a cloth. If a blue police phone box suddenly appears and a man steps out gibbering nonsense about losing it, give it to him BUT do not follow him into the phone box, for ye shall surely perish. The documentaries I've seen on TV abut him are quite scary, they were said to be a fictional windup but now I'm not so sure, there's something strange living in Downing Street....

Reply to
Adrian C

I posted this on a US NG, and so far have had:

Oh yeah. It's part of an injection molding assembly.

Looks like a tie plate. Holding the axles for the tie rods (steam control rods) for a steam engine piston intake/exhaust control. The axles going into the middle holes in each side are driven by the crank on the 'big wheels'. The worn track is where the ties to the intake and exhaust valves go back and forth.

It's a die plate for Frito-Lay's Cheetos

Looks like a woodruff key for a 106 mm recoilless rifle

Does that help any?

Reply to
Davey

The comment about it being a tie plate for a steam engine seems to have been made by someone who doesn't understand how small 6cm is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only to an Anthropologist.

Reply to
Plusnet

Well it's only fair to admit that I know it's an electrical component as there were a couple of wires attached to the base of the roughly cylindrical object it was part of. There was an axial hole in the object above the middle of the plate and I suspect it might have been part of a radio aerial.

I suspect that a conductor would have been threaded through the two holes between the ends of the "S".

Does that sound plausible?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

the old "copper bottomed" ships were covered in copper sheet to dissuade things from growing on them or boring holes in the wood. On-boat metals, when not painted, are usually bronze brass or stainless steel.

BTW it doesn't look like the base of a cam cleat to me. That would be bilaterally symmetrical, whereas that thing's two sides are not mirror images.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Barnacles. Which caused the ship to sail slower as the submerged parts would no longer be smooth.

Reply to
Tim Streater