mystery object

Anyone any idea what these are from:
<
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/mystery.jpg <
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/mystery2.jpg
scale wise the main mechanism is about 8cm wide and the numbered dial about 4cm dia.
They were in a box with a number of other bits, three of which look like coin slots for half crowns.
the cog C fits between the gear cylinder B and gear cone D
it looks as if the thread A should turn to move C up and down and provide a variable gearing ratio, but this won't turn, and seems broken
The cog E is lightly clutched to D
The teeth on the numbered cog fit all the other cogs in the main mechanism.
a first guess would be an electricity meter, but what's the variable ratio gear for?
answers on a newsgroup post please to: u.m, and u.d
--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

bof wrote:

Pre-payment coin meters would need a way for the price per unit to be changed and that would be my guess as to the purpose of the gears. The dial was presumably connected, probably through gearing, to thread A and it would indicate which gear was engaged, showing either pence per unit or units per coin inserted.
Colin Bignell
bof wrote:

bits of a parking meter?
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

The famous Lost Bits of Babbage's Engine.

What's the difference?
saying something like:

Ask the cool operator.
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:33:46 +0100, bof wrote:

The numbers are designed to show upright through a window, positioned at about "2 o'clock" from the spindle. "7 1/2" is pretty close to upright. There are 15 numbers and 15 gears in the cone so the numbers probably do show which gear is selected.

There might be some form of latch that prevents A turning unless it is released.
What are the top and bottom views of the mechanism?
--
Cheers
Dave.

And the mystery might be helped if we knew what needed to be measured in units of 8.

Yes found another plate in the box of bits, which aligns nicely with the numbered cog to give this:
<
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/mystery3.jpg
which confirms nightjar's 'price per unit'

Yes there is, but even unlatched it's jammed

Here's the top view where you can see the cam and latch:
<
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/mystery4.jpg
the bottom view is just a flat plate.
So I think mystery solved, thanks to all.
--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

writes

Its for hand rolling cigarettes
--
geoff

Which bit inserts the roach?
--
^^. Sn!pe < snipped-for-privacy@notforspam.fsnet.co.uk>

My pet rock Gordon just is.
writes

Its a long lost Antikythera
--
geoff

Cross-post to uk.eggheads?
:-)
bof set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

The integers and halves on the dial suggest it's for checking the sizes of shoes.
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

I guess there must be a second device for sizes 8 1/2 up
--

bof at bof dot me dot uk