Mystery object

Can anyone identify this:
<
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg <
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg <
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg
it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.
Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.
MTIA
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Just guessing: some sort of damper plate, the grooves being the result of it sliding up and down.
mark

Looking at it I'd say the grooves are almost certainly machined, not worn.
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Template for cutting roofing slates
Owain

It would be terribly heavy for use on a roof. Very dangerous.
Bill
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 01:33:30 +0100, "Bill Wright"

Cut them at ground level then.
--
Frank Erskine

I do have a slate roof, but the slates are oblong rather than square, seems something of an over kill for a slate template, it weighs 25lbs.
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Jeweller's bench block?
http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Flat-Stake---10cm-X-10cm-prcode-999-795
In message

My feeling is it's a reference plate for something, as I mentioned in the OP the centre ridge of the double groove is exactly 7/8" in and the centre of the single groove is exactly 7/8" in.
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

writes

Left by an ancient astronaut
they had trouble picking up channel 5 too ...
--
geoff

writes

Blimey, so they use imperial measurements too.
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

writes

What else ? ...
--
geoff

I don't know, but I think it would be pretty good for making crêpes on.
Is it featureless on the other side?
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)

yep
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

On 8 Sep, 10:56, bof wrote:

Right, so it's for French roofers to cut slates at ground level, and make their lunch on.
Owain
In message

So what was it doing in my loft then?
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

It may be a surface plate, if the other side shows signs of maching or lapping to make it very flat. If it is, it would probably have some value, which is the only reason I can think of for someone keeping it. It doesn't show any sign of rust, so it is more likely cast iron.
Otherwise it fairly worthless scrap.

It's where you put things you don't want to throw out but have no immediate use for.
Mary

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

I thought that's what a garage was for...
Sheila