OT Museum of the Moon

I know some people on this newsgroup will find it interesting.

And if it gets you out of doing some DIY for SWMBO even better.

Reply to
ARW

It's coming to Lincoln Cathedral in February.

I did a trip to the Christmas Market in Lincoln a few years back. It was a historic train ride from Edinburgh with old 60's 1st class carriages pulled by a Deltic loco. The train ride was interesting as every bridge and level crossing etc. was packed with people wanting to get a photo of a Deltic engine. The Christmas Market was a good, plenty to eat and drink.

But the highlight of the day was wandering around Lincoln Cathedral. It's very impressive especially considering how old it is. I even went as far as paying for the guided tour of the roof space. DIYers would enjoy seeing how it was built and how the repair it etc. They keep the spare wood for joists etc. in the loft to age and season. Best £3 I've spent in ages.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Somebody needs some lessons about making an accessible web site. No headings and all the links are pictures with the name Gemma or Moon, very useful.... not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

As the whole thing is about a visual work of art, giant illuminated models of the moon on display around the world, I'm not sure how helpful having an accessible web site would be.

Reply to
nightjar

Among other things an accessible site would let Brian find that out for himself.

Reply to
Robin

If you want the research grade version Virtual Moon is very nice:

User interface takes a bit of getting used to but it is all there.

Stellarium is rather beautiful too if you like star gazing. Try zooming in on things.

Both are freeware and class leading astronomy software.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Indeed - especially if Brian'd had found his way to this page:

RJH

Clicked the link, and from the source expected something entirely different. Somewhat surprised, but not disappointed.

Reply to
Richard

Another (or might be the same) free Virtual Moon Atlas -

wasbit

The physical object is an imposing presence - quite worth a visit to see. We saw in the the Science Museum in Kensington when it was there.

ISTR About the same time as the Stanley Kubrick exhibition.

Reply to
Martin Brown

My apologies. I had forgot that some people would not be able view the link.

Would this link

suggested by RJH have helped you?

If so I will try to be more careful in the future.

Reply to
ARW

I know and I am going. BTW Helen Sharman is there on the 18th.

I often visit the farmers market at Lincoln. Not sure if I have done a Christmas one.

Now that an interesting idea. But it's now £7.50. People normally pay me to go into their lofts.

and there is also this

At least the Wig and Mitre is only a few minutes walk.

Reply to
ARW

Would it surprise you if I said I love ballet?

Reply to
ARW

No.

Reply to
Richard

Allowing for inflation et al. £7.50 it is still not bad. The whole Cathedral is worth spending sometime wandering around. It's worth it to think about whether the blokes building it 950 years ago considered if it would still be standing so many years later. And you can go and find the Lincoln Imp on one of the walls of stone carvings. I found it and the roof tour fascinating. The view from the roof is good too. For those of us who live in the lumpy parts of the UK, it isn't half flat down in Lincolnshire!

Reply to
mm0fmf

It's also flat by Yorkshire standards - apart from that pesky road called Steep Hill up to the cathedral.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks for that

Reply to
ARW

It was at St Georges Donny a bit back.

I was backstage when she tripped at the World Student Games and put her flaming torch out.

I was in the great big room in the tower where the bells are when they chimed. Yikes!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Indeed. I would not want to watch her trying to park a car.

Reply to
ARW

Above 'high tide' then :-)

Reply to