OT: MOT advisory: tyres cracking.

The Sprite has a pretty good weight distribution. So I'd expect it to show the problems in doing this pretty well. It would also depend on how good the rubber gripped too - the crossplies may have been pretty terrible in this respect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you now not supposed to drive as fast as possible and let the ABS and ESC look after you?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Do "euro look" (look it up) stretched tyres ever pass MOTs?

Reply to
Part Timer

Terminal oversteer.

Reply to
Davey

public information film about that" :-) Wonder what year it was?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I once drove a Commer Van with crossplies on. My god, it was utterly lethal.

It wasn't much better once we put radials on it, but at least you had some control over which direction you wanted to go in, as long the direction was straight..

Reply to
Mike P

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

I had on of the first jeep Cherokees to be imported into the UK

I suddenly found it wouldn't come out of fixed 4-wheel drive. Problem solved after (very) slow drive to dealers - I'd put 2 new tyres on the rear- and it didn't like it. One on each axle and it was OK.

Reply to
hugh

Perhaps Range Rover - who use a central differential - got it right?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I get the same problem on the Landie Series IIa occasionally. No centre diff, and if you put it in 4 wheel drive, it can be hard to get out. Just drive backwards for a yard or so, and that removes the transmission wind-up that causes the problem. I daresay the same instructions were in the Jeep handbook. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

Many thanks for all the advice, folks.

I took it to the same garage who took it to the same test centre... and this time there was no advisory note about "cracking".

I was quite surprised by the new laser printed test certificate. The properly printed, watermarked, embossed certificates are obviously a thing of the past.

Reply to
mike

No, the Jeep had a permanent or part-time 4wd or 2wd capability in Hi, but only part-time capability in Lo IIRC.

Reply to
hugh

All held on-lime mow - the others were too easily forged. On a similar note DVLC are now reissuing all vehicle "log-books" in red as a batch of blue blanks were stolen

Reply to
hugh

I don't like the sound of that. You had one tyre with worn out tread, and one with new tread, on the same axle? Didn't you find it a bit "interesting" under hard braking?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Not that I recall, but it was a few years ago

Reply to
hugh

In message , John Williamson

My Hybrid has the centre diff system as used in early classic Range Rovers. It too suffers from failure to disengage on hard surfaces. I find running two wheels on the grass verge coupled with coming off the power brings it out.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike