OT More Scottish drivel

A spaceport for Scotland! Ha Ha! It would take 30% more fuel to launch from North Scotland than the equator. Which is why the Yanks launch from Florida and the EUSSR from South America.
Total drivel. It will never happen.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44841123
harry wrote:

I though they were looking to launch into polar orbits?

Yes, and for polar orbits it doesn't matter where you launch from - fuel costs are the same.
--
Lady Astor: "Winston, you are drunk!"
Churchill: "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."
On 29/03/2019 10:43, Tim Streater wrote:

I think you'll find that if you launch near the equator you have to kill your earth rotation speed. OTOH that's less than 10% of your orbital speed.
Andy
On 29/03/2019 10:20, Andy Burns wrote:

They are. So Harry is wrong, which in the 4 months I've been reading this group seems par for the course in Harry's case.
On Friday, 29 March 2019 18:38:20 UTC, mm0fmf wrote:

You're pretty thick aren't you? http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/navigation/2-why-launch-from-equator.html
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 00:37:32 -0700 (PDT), harry

Sigh. Wrong yet again, Harry. The link you give refers to equatorial orbit launches. For polar orbits (you do know the difference, don't you? Actually, your comments suggest you don't. No surprise there then), the best place to launch would be the poles, N or S. As launching from the poles is problematical and somewhat inconvenient, then a high northerly or southerly latitude is next best. https://tinyurl.com/y2dbtgy9
--

Chris

well done you spotted what we have always known ......it is obvious every time man chebs opens his gob ....tee hee
On 29/03/2019 18:37, mm0fmf wrote:

harry has an almost unique ability to be wrong with close to 100% consistency. Which is actually quite impressive, and must take some effort on his part.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 11:52:29 +0000, John Rumm

If being wrong was an Olympic event, he'd get the gold medal every time!
--

Chris

On 30/03/2019 11:59, Chris Hogg wrote:

How can he be *SO* wrong on a subject where the objective information is in print and searchable?

He only searches the parts of the meja he knows support his views.
--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

On 30/03/2019 12:48, mm0fmf wrote:

Its amazing how propaganda can apparently make peole read oinformatin anmd totally disciunt whats in it. Climate change? Reneables? the EU? The evidence is all there.
But people read the spin in the guradian and the BBC and completely ignore it.
--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Because he reads the Daily Mail.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Saturday, 30 March 2019 17:26:02 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/navigation/2-why-launch-from-equator.html
On 30/03/2019 18:34, harry wrote:

See, he has posted the same link several times now, and *still* does not understand why it offers no support to his argument.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 30/03/2019 20:15, John Rumm wrote:

It's almost unbelievable that anybody could be so clueless.
From the FT, Feb 7 2019
"The first launch in 2021, for Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd, would mark the first time a UK satellite had been launched using a British rocket from a launch site in Britain, Orbex added.
The plans and the opening of Orbex’s Forres facility reflect the booming market for small satellites, which can carry out communications and earth observation roles far more cheaply than traditional satellites. In 2018 the government chose Sutherland to host the country’s first space port to send small satellites into polar orbit. "
There we have it. I'll type this slowly so thicko Harry can understand.... P O L A R O R B I T.
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 11:34:47 -0700, harry wrote:

launch-from-equator.html
With a polar orbit, it is actually better to launch as near the poles as possible, to reduce the corrections that have to be done.