OT: More IT treacle please

Like my big Ricoh network printer. Print and scan over the LAN from XP, W7 and W10. Prints ok from Linux but won't scan. Not tried the FAX on any OS but there is a FAX package for Windows.

Now, unlike yer Linux fanatic, I'm not simply going to go without or turn down a free printer simply because I can't use it fully from Linux, I'll use whatever OS gives me the best range of solutions that supports *my needs*.

However, in contrast to the vast majority of ordinary computer users who have never even heard of Linux, let alone used it, at least I try to keep my hand in in the hope that it will one day be capable of being a real alternative desktop OS for me. And it *has* come a long way over the years, from my first experiments using SLS 0.9 that came on 3 x 1.44M floppies to the mainstream offerings like Ubuntu and Mint of today.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What's the last spoken line in Clint Eastwood - Magnum Force?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

< 20 lines snipped >

Sorry chum, but I'm not interested in any of that.

I was just looking to score a brownie point, by pointing out that you weren't deliberately nym-shifting.

If only....

michael adams

michael adams

That's two of us then. ;-)

Quite ... and I'd posted from both many times previously, here and elsewhere (and I may have another account on my Android tablet that is also a different email address but again, on the same domain and using the same (oh so hard to spot or decrypt), my real name / sig! ;-)

Well, FWIW, you did here (as your pointing out the futility of their bleating made me laugh).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Erm, go on, remind me (I don't mind the DH films but I'm no real follower) and if I ever knew it I would have forgotten it by the next day? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You're not in the least concerned that you went to the trouble of posting 20 lines, that you now admit were on a topic you were not really interested in ?

So why did you post them ?

And no please, don't answer that; or even think of doing so.

< a further six lines snipped >

michael adams

michael adams

En el artículo , michael adams escribió:

You failed.

I've never done that.

you'd piss off and contribute something useful instead of trying to score points off other posters, like T i m N i c e b u t D i m.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Oh dear Mr Tomlinson, what makes you think I place any value on your opinion on any topic whatsoever ?

Might I humbly suggest you get over yourself ?

Nobody said that you had. Possibly you might try reading the relevant posts again.

Such as posting links to ten year old FAQ's concerning Rod Speed you mean ?

Do you realise just how pathetic that actually makes you look ?

So that apart from netcopping and dickwaving contributions to OT computer OS threads, how exactly would you characterise your own contributions to this NewsGroup. Mike

I didn't try and score any any points off of Tim. The claim that Tim was nymshifting was made by Huge, with whom you chose to agree.

Oh and BTW Mike it's often the case that people such as yourself usually have even less success in trying to order other people about, although obviously you'd like to, than they do in real life

michael adams

michael adams

En el artículo , michael adams escribió:

If that's the case, why reply to my supposedly valueless posts?

You lose.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Because in the admittedly unlikely event that others are actually reading this exchange, then replying gives me the opportunity to demonstrate beyond doubt the evident flaws in your reasoning ability as evidenced in your previous post. (1-0)

It would be a pity not to share these insights with others, in other words.

In other words, without my pointing it out, readers of this exchange might have been led to believe that I really did accuse you of nymshifting, as you claimed. When I clearly didn't; my post was in response to Tim in case you hadn't noticed. (2-0)

And that I tried to score brownie points off of Tim nice but Dim. When I clearly didn't. I leave that to tyhe more desperate such as yourself and Huge. (3-0)

Although why you just can't ignore him is for you two to decide I suppose. But going on and on interminably about how annoying you find someone, seems a bit self-defeating to me

In Mike Tomlinson World, maybe. But down here in the real world where brownie points do actually count for something, that's another three points to me I'm afraid.

michael adams

michael adams

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

:) very apposite.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

1) Advertising. Targeted advertising, hence the desire of M$ to hoover up as much "telemetry" (sorry, data) as it can about Windows 10 users. The W10 EULA allows M$ to hoover up all your personal data - your documents, address book, spreadsheets, photos, plus usage information, what websites you visit, how often you use your computer and what you do when you use it, etc. etc. etc. and all this is data mind to hurl aggressively targeted advertising at you. 2) The App store. M$ want their cut of sales from the walled garden. Hence the push towards UWA apps, or whatever they're called today, and the deprecation of separately downloadable and installable ("sideloaded") apps as those make no money for M$.

M$ has gazed enviously upon the billions being raked in by Apple and Google and now wants a slice of the action. They've come to the party rather late, hence the increasingly underhanded attempts to force Windows 10 down the throats of people, even those who have said they don't want it.

Agreed. They've just killed off Nokia as a start.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

They always had to do that: Balmer bought the business, but only licensed the name for the interim period until MSFT started manufacturing new product.

Reply to
Rob Morley

En el artículo , Rob Morley escribió:

Thanks. Stevie-poo's investments didn't do M$ much good, did they?

Nokia: paid $7.1bn, $10.1bn and counting in outgoings.

Maybe he should have stuck to throwing chairs around the office and sticking pins into an effigy of Linus. Still, he's retired now to spend more time with his money so he can't do M$ any more damage.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson