OT: More IT treacle please

Adrian Caspersz

Sorry, could someone explain what this actually does / means to / for those people who might actually use such things please?

What would this particular solution give that the '3rd party tools' haven't?

And this apparent collaboration between Canonical and MS is what I was referring to elsewhere. When 'Linux' presents itself though some large / predictable / common 'face', 'others' might take note and treat it seriously.

With most of the other forks, spins and re-mixes the resultant 'managing body' / user-base is so small as to not appear on anyone's radar so you can fully understand why anyone wouldn't waste their time on them?

So, if you were MS, you *would* notice Canonical / Ubuntu (or Debian / SuSE etc) but it would be even better if there could be at least one 'agreed' base generic distro that all the hardware manufacturers and software developers could work to. Nothing stopping all the spins, forks and distros of course, just they could be seen as sub sets of the main offering.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

hahah. First they port SQL server to LInux, next they build their cloud on Linux, then they port bash to Windows, next thing they will simply rewrite Windows as a linux window manager, and buy up WINE...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It will make windows 10 for you Tim, unusable.

Ever looked at Apple seriously?

Adrian Caspersz

Yerrs, and spat it out again.

A good kernel destroyed by fashion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

"embrace, extend, extinguish", remember.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Is THAT what Linux is doing to Windows?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Nope. it's what M$ would love to do to Linux. Don't believe any of this "we love Linux now, honest!" bullshit emanating from Redmond.

And it's no surprise that Tim-Nice-but-Dim is clueless about what including the bash shell means for Windows.

Of course, bash and other, proper, shells been available via Cygwin for donkey's years - just M$ stealing someone else's idea, again.

Mike Tomlinson

Er no. I actually found out some more..in fact what it amounts to is M$ building a 'reverse WINE' allowing linux applications to tun natively in windows 10, so you may be right that they want to take over the apps but crap on the OS.

I have to say however that 'Windows 13, a Windows Window manager on a linux kernel', would be a clever move by Microsoft, if they also spent time ensuring that legacy WinApps could run on it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You know their cloud is based on Windows, not Linux, don't you? I know a few months ago you thought otherwise, but I thought you'd understood your mistake then...

Reply to
Clive George

Bit puzzled over "A complete Ubuntu image on top of Windows".

Bash (Bourne again shell) is just a particular flavour of shell. It is not analogous to Ubuntu, nor is bash in any way specific to Ubuntu.

What gives?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I'm not sure that is the answer I was looking for?

I use an Apple Mini every day (on XP but OSX is only a reboot away) and am in the process of repairing a 27" iMac for a mate. Unfortunately not only do I not particularly 'like' OSX, it isn't as compatible with all my existing hardware as Windows and doesn't run all my preferred programs either.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'm surprised you aren't surprised (given how little idea you have about me and most other PC users).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The main attraction for people who do lots of development using open source platforms is that they can carry on using their the entire toolset in a familer environment without leaving windows. This gives some nice two way gains such as being able to use linux command line tools in windows, and some of windows very rich IDE tools for developing non windows code as well.

Third party tools in the past (say cygwin) have set about porting and recompiling *nix tools so that they run as native windows binaries. The alternative was to run real *nix binaries on a virtual machine. This closes that gap letting you run native linux binaries on the windows kernel directly.

(in effect reimplementing something that the NT kernel was always supposed to do - but support got lost in the mists of time)

Perhaps. The best example we have so far in Android - a popular face sat on a linux kernal. This is the other way around - a traditional *nix face on top of a popular kernal.

I can see the attraction here. For many a developer working in a cross platform environment, this may well be the killer application that makes them move from Win 7.

Its quite a nice way of getting round the problem of being sat on one machine, thinking - now I know how to do this job easily on , but how do I do it here. This way you can use whatever skills and knowledge you have plus the most appropriate tools for whichever platform.

Well presumably, once they have a fully working kernal interface, you can run pretty much any linux user mode on top of it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why would anyone want to do this?

Reply to
Huge

I am not so sure... I think they have realised that they can't beat it into non existence, so they might as well join it and work out how to make some money in that space.

That seems a little harsh... Its something of massive significance for a subset of what is a (relatively) small subset of computer users in the first place.

Its a very different approach though.

Reply to
John Rumm

It was just a readily recognisable (to *nix users) interface they could demo stuff with. No doubt they could have run other shells or probably (given time) even X Windows on it as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

they haven't recompiled bash for windows, they have written a shim that will allow Linux executables to run natively

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Which you can do now, and have been able to do for years, with Cygwin.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson