OT: Moblie phone delivery scam

Or, like me, have a very poor Internet connection which totally stops such things working.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

My concern is that those involved might have a propensity to turn nasty if you say, for example, that you are keeping the phone because it is better than the present one, or that you are handing it into the police as lost property,or you suspect a crime or that they are talking nonsense and no package was ever delivered.

I suppose the starting point would be to refuse delivery if possible. However, if it is left at the door or put through the letterbox, what would be the safest way to deal with an aggressive caller?

Reply to
Scott

You could get caught out if they are asking you to accept a parcel on a neighbour's behalf.

Happens to me often (not the scam so far!)

Reply to
harry

If it's got the neighbours name and address on, it how can the contents be charged to your account ?

Surely if that were possible then they could simply post the item to themselves using a false name and an accomodation address so cutting out the middleman altogether,

michael adams

michael adams

If they do, and suffer a loss as a result, do they deserve any sympathy?

Reply to
Brian Reay

On 24/08/2019 19:02, Chris Hogg wrote: ks. Life gets more worrying by the hour!

Agreed that the BBC's own search facility is completely useless - don't know how they manage that. You get muh better results using some regular search engine, such as DuckDuckGo.

Reply to
Clive Page

all that does is parrot the "ceefax" page

It doesn't explain how you are liable

tim

Reply to
tim...

I assume Harry means the neighbours are being scammed as as a good neighbour you are trying to protect them.

If the courier left the parcel with a neighbour, hopefully the criminal would not know which door to go to.

Reply to
Scott

I don't think you are liable as such but you will have some serious problems clearing your compromised credit record afterwards once scams have been targetted on your home address using your personal details.

It isn't a good idea to give the second "courier" the valuable package though unless they are threatening you with violence.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I?m the long term, you might not be liable, in the short term though a new phone has been bought with your money and you?ve just handed over to the fraudster. Good luck with explaining that to your bank, credit card company, credit rating organisations etc.

It?s a bit like stepping out in front of a car running a red light. You might not be ?liable?, but...

Tim+

Reply to
Tim+

If you didn't order anything, just don't sign for it and make the first couurier return-to-sender.

Take a photo of the shipping lable though and phone the sender to find out what's going on. The crims have got hold of your card details somehow.

Reply to
Andrew

This scam is quite old actually. These days they prefer to phone up the victim and persuade them to move all their money to a 'safe' account.

Reply to
Andrew

My humax red button just shows the updated version of 'ceefax' overlaid on the broadcast picture. Lottery, Weather, UK and oversea news, traffic, sport headlines etc.

Nowhere does it try and get something from a website, even though it is internet-connected.

Reply to
Andrew

I don't own a TV that enables access to the Internet via digital text. Do you?

Reply to
Max Demian

No I don't - never heard of one that does - and it's an irrelevance in this case anyway.

What I was talking about was how one item of data (a full article held in a database), is published (and hence disseminated) on two separate systems - a web site and the "teletext" red button, in a vain attempt to explain why sometimes a "teletext" news item appears to be cut short.

Reply to
John Kenyon

but some people order so much they can't tell if it's genuine or not, until they open it

tim

Reply to
tim...

Our Humax FVP-4000T (which we don't use really, since we set up a couple of OpenVix satellite boxes) gives a simple, text, Ceefax like, service if we press the Text button, while the Red button brings up services with video and much more (which I think can be a combination of over the air and web services).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker