OT:Malware

That's what I do if they're female. If they're male, I ask them about their boyfriend's underwear.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No discrimination there then

Reply to
stuart noble

Or alternatively they may take this as a sign of success and employ more people to operate the scam.

Reply to
Mark

May their phone system be stolen by weasels.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not much of a success if they didn't get any money out of it.

On a completely different note and whilst discussing this. One for the Linux gurus. How secure is something like VirtualBox in isolating an image. If I had mad a clone of my Windows image in VirtualBox could I have given them access to it to see what they did without compromising the rest of the machine. Would this be affected by the fact that I have shared folders configured?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Or infected by malware ... ;)

Hoist by their own petard would be somewhat fitting.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

You could build a VM that is safe to expose to the scammers. The restrictions you would need to apply to do that safely means the VM won't be of much use for anything else. It can't have access to any network shares and can't hold any confidential data.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Well that would be OK then. I only use VM to run iTunes and the music is on a share that could be disconnected. So just vanilla XP. Might be interesting next time they call. If only just to see what they do. Of course, I could leave some fake personal data on it just to get them salivating a bit.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May