OT: Linux HDD on Win10 not booting

Hi peeps, I?m trying to recover s9me files off a Linux HDD but when connecting the hd to the sata connections on the pc but the pc won? ?t boot. I?m sure I have done it before but stumped why it? ?s causing windows not to load? Any Ideas?

Ta peeps

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Check the 'boot order' in the bios, it might be that it is trying to boot from the Linux HDD and failing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Maybe its whatever the modern equivalent of jumpers is. I know that ides seem to be easier as its just jumpers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's probably changing the order of the hard drives, so the new (Linux) disk is being seen as the first hard drive and the original (Windows) one as the second. The PC then tries to boot from the wrong drive.

There may be some options in the BIOS to change the order. If not, try this:

1) If you've got multiple spare SATA connectors, try connecting the Linux drive to a different one. If you haven't, but you've got a SATA CDROM, unplug the CDROM and plug the Linux drive in its place. 2) If that doesn't work, then without connecting the Linux drive, move the Windows drive to a different SATA connector. See if it boots (an if not put it back). If it does, try connecting the Linux drive to the connector you took the Windows drive off. 3) If none of that helps, buy an external USB to SATA adaptor (something like this -
). You can then boot Windows and plug in the drive externally afterwards.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

Tryied all of those, but have noticed an option to enable hot plug of sata cables, will try enabling that option and then plugging it in when it has b ooted. If I do it now, it spins but is not seen by windows or the Linux fil e viewer I used before. I am thinking it maybe an issue with gigabyte mothe rboards. It worked fine on my old pc. I may see if I get any more joy with it plugged into my sons pc. Using a caddie via usb I get nothing either...:

-(

Reply to
Homemanager

It might be ahead of the disk on which windowsis, in the bios boot order. Try a live CD boot instead

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well using an external USB caddy should avoid the issues of booting, anyway. What happens when you try that? If you run diskmgmt.msc you should be able to see the drive there, unless the drive or caddy is faulty.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey