OT Lidle's offer of a windscreen camera

This looks great, is there any reason why it cannot easily be fitted to the rear window instead of windscreen?

Reply to
Broadback

link would be nice

Reply to
dave

No reason why not although getting an ignition switched power feed might be trickier.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Like most of other things, there good ones and poor ones, and what I read and seen I would not be so keen to buy that one. I don't mean what I have read about the lidl dashcam, I mean other dashcams. GIYF

Reply to
Bob H

So what do you mean by that..... I was quite impressed with the one that caught the metor in russia .

Reply to
whisky-dave

My DashCam is fed from the permanently powered car socket. I like to think it will record the frontal impact when parked in the Tesco car park when it happens. I'd have had to have two side-facing cameras to see who scraped their bumpers down the two sides.

My little Eken camera is good because the screen folds up into the camera, so it's small and doesn't intrude much into any sight lines. It has a useless ring of IR lights. I wonder if the IR on the Lidl one is of any practical value. To achieve the spec, mine seems to delve into digital trickery. They're on Ebay still for £15 to £18, and I've been very happy with it.

Reply to
Bill

How long will it be before manufacturers start fitting dash/rearview cams as standard?

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Quality is very variable. Before buying one I spent some time looking into the subject here:

Mike Barnes

Just as soon as they can work out 20 different standards ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Many already fit video cameras, although mostly for the car's computer (e.g. to detect pedestrians) or to give external views when parking. It only needs a slight change for them to add recording to the in-car video systems.

Reply to
Nightjar

And they will all have to be wired in with the CANBUS so they can talk to your brakes. And cost 10 times what they are worth. And leave a massive ungainly hole if removed and replaced by a generic device...

Reply to
Tim Watts

£40. How much better is it, I wonder than my Chinese Ebay one? I paid £10 including postage, here is the same one for £8.62.

I am very happy with it for daylight use, in the dark, in spite of its IR LEDs, it is pretty useless, but I expect the Lidl one is equally bad.

With mine, and I expect with the Lidl one too, you could mount it on the back window and feed the composite video from the jack socket to a little monitor up front, so you have a reversing camera, and the thing still records to its SD card.

Reply to
Graham.

No, but it is wildly overpriced. From Amazon this would be £15 IME. Remeber that you need to buy a 32G sd card to go with it. They also vibrate loose in some settings.

Reply to
Capitol

Already mandated in some counties for SUVs.

Reply to
Capitol

Mine is good in the dark when the car headlamps are on.

Reply to
Capitol

+1

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Very unusual for Lidl. Most of their special offer things are about as cheap as you'll get them anywhere for the same quality. Perhaps they're learning from Tesco.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If was permanently fitted to the car, I suspect some people would insist on there being a large "Immediate Erase" button on the dashboard.

Reply to
LumpHammer

Most cig lighter sockets are ignition switched

Reply to
F Murtz

If your car has a socket in the boot (one you'd probably use for a rear facing camera), you may well find that it's always live. Mine certainly is.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+