OT: Last Night of the Proms

That's the American Dream

alan_m

Last referendum they wanted to stay in the UK. Perhaps they should?

Reply to
Fredxx

We are happy with a free trade deal even if its unilateral. EU needs to punish us - we frakly couldn't care less. It isn't red tape stopping imports from e.g. Germany. Its british people not buying their products.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whoa. How do you arrive at that conclusion in the last sentence?

Reply to
Richard

No - they're simply applying the rules in the trading agreement we signed up to. Why should they do otherwise?

YOU might not, but I don't want to be punished for something that is none of my making.

Sorry - I must have missed the news about us boycotting goods coming from the EU.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

You could always keep saying that the UK has moved far from the Soviet Union-style economy of heavy industry and agriculture, and is now an 80 percent finance-and-services economy, where exporting actual things is of much less importance than in the Industrial era.

Reply to
Spike

Ignoring the small fact that the EU unilaterally imposed a hard border in NI against the very deal it had struck with the UK, the EU is quite free to harm itself in any way it wishes.

Thank goodness we're well out of that.

Reply to
Spike

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Cursitor Doom snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com scribeth thus

Right!

Having attended this event and having got to the venue quite early there were around 4 or so people outside giving EU flags and leaflets away! There was No one there giving flags out other then those people certainly no one from the BBC!, in fact i do not recall seeing anyone with a BBC badge or pass on, there were a few tech staff up in a partitioned off section of the Gallery at the top and there was a partitioned off OB van section outside. This was an OB event and that work is done by other contractors no vans around with the BBC written on them!.

I had a chat with one of the Pro EU people giving the flags away they were in general getting a warmish welcome for being there. No one that i saw was giving away Union Jack flags.

So to state that the BBC "orchestrated" this is poppycock, it really is and I'd have thought Cursitor you might have known better!.

In the audience that i saw there were quite a few Asian people and being based up in the gallery area they were really enjoying themselves perhaps enjoying the fact that here in the UK we do still have more freedoms than some other states and places!

I had a Brazilian lady friend with me who was very surprised that the UK public could enjoy themselves and weren't so inhibited as she though they were! Great event yes!, bit Jingoistic fantastic atmosphere and bloody loud when the old Organ is flat out and the audience with them!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed, That's exactly why we voted to leave the EU.

Obviously you did. Natural enough as you probably get your news from the BBC and the Guardian, and it doesn't fit their faux narratives. I buy as little as possible from the EU, as do many other people who have been disgusted at the response of the EU to Brexit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That not how it works, Tony.

When some years ago I attended a recording of 'Question Time' it was significant how many 'questions' came from people with London accents.

The the point where Dimbledum actually asked whether one questioner was local. She wasnt.

After the recording had ended, a whole group got into a minibus with London plates on and drive off.

How it works is that the beeb has its own activists who pass the word along to other well funded activists, who then flood the cameras and monopolise events with pre prepared marketing collateral - flags hats and T shirts and so on - in order to give a vastly different view of what is going on, to the national audience. All the Beeb then has to do is for its left leaning camera monkeys to focus on that group rather than anyone else...

The Remoaner/Left is well funded, well organised and a very visible and vocal but very small minority. Carefully presented to make itself look much large than it is, to capture the narrative and drive the political agenda.

Come referendum time they couldn't believe they were actually a small minority, and they still don't

As usual what happens at an event, and how it is portrayed in the media are two very different things.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Question Time is a totally BBC organised event. The audience tickets are not on public sale.

Reply to
charles

He does; he's just toxic.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought that QT was nowadays an independent production? Not that it matters - those in control of QT have ways of sounding out audience members during the pre-broadcast warm-up.

Reply to
JNugent

its more that a few people in key positions in the beeb are able to tell people where and when to turn up and get them tickets and make sure they get featured and locals do not.

it doesn't have to be top down policy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have forgotten the basic rules of driving, Mirror, Signal, Manouvre. Ditto posting to the internet, Read, Think, Reply. You missed out the middle bit.

If people with one foot (or leg) in the grave could vote on an issue which will have massive consequences for everyone, *including* all those under the voting age, who will have to put up with the result, good or bad, for much longer, then parents or guardians of under-age kids should have had proxy votes for each of them. Remember this could have worked both ways and was a one-off vote, unlike a GE which can be altered 5 years down the line. QED 100% fair.

Trying to drag in pregnant females is plain stupid.

Reply to
Andrew

Massively outnumbered by Union flags. It's still on the iPlayer. Watch it again.

Reply to
Andrew

I hear that Andrew Neil has jumped overboard at GB News. I thought he would stay longer but there we are. Hope he was wearing a life jacket.

Also Piers Morgan is going to work for Murdoch !!!.

Reply to
Andrew

Tripe.

Explain - if you can - why people over 85 should not be allowed to vote. Try to make an "argument" based on something other than your preferences for the outcome.

This should be good...

Says *who* (other than you)?

What's the electoral difference between an unborn child due tomorrow and one who's already a day old?

This should be good...

Reply to
JNugent

So it *should* be.

The display of the Union Jack (and other "favours" in red, white and blue) is a totally traditional feature of the LNOTP and has precisely

*nothing* to do with contemporary political disagreements and controversy.

It's about music, not puerile political posturing.

No thanks. I've seen it (and heard it).

Reply to
JNugent

They have taken back control. Why would they want to let in inferior British goods with no checks?

But then fools like you thought the UK would be back 'in charge' of everything.

It was obvious to anyone with half a working brain cell that an open border requires common standards on both sides.

Well out? We're doing very well now are we?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News