OT, laser printers

Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

Reply to
newshound

Dead easy to set up, print quality is fine. The carts are not cheap but it is supposed to print 700 pages with the cart supplied. I will be in a nursing home or a mental institution before I print

700 pages.

Mr Pounder Esquire

I just bought one on e-bay for 99p. Samsung ML-1510. Works really well. If the existing cartridge ever runs out I can buy a non-genuine replacement for £10.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Cheap as chips home office printer, then do multiple compatible carts until one

Or alternatively ...

Buy a cheap < £200 commercial office printer, and get 5k-10k toner in the box which might last ye a fair old while, and then get compatibles.

I've got a Samsung ML-3710ND A4 Mono Laser Printer still running after 4 years, cost £183 in May 2013 , came with a 5000 page toner which ran out last year along the free 3-year onsite warramty. A compatible 10,000 page toner cart is now in there - £25 from Ciberdirect via Amazon.

This is the current replacement, comes with 3K toner though :(

10K toner compatibles toner carts on Amazon are about £35.

Someone suitably bored might want to spin that into a calculator against a purchase of a current SOHO Brother and multiple ongoing compatible lower capacity replacement consumables.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I've just bought a Dell E310dw from Amazon for about 65 quid, works well, covers what you need, sadly Amazon only showing it for £150 now, but worth a look if you can find it at a decent price.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Those are good. I had a couple.

Reply to
GB

I know that printer and that's a real bargain. I found those lookalike cartridges soon show their deficiencies but at ?10 you can't complain.

You can refill the original Samsung cartridges with powder toner but it's hardly worth bothering.

Reply to
pamela

I go shopping in Ashbourne, Derbyshire once a week. Lots of rich people live in the Peak district. The seller had been "forced" to move from Windows to Apple and couldn't get it working. I was in no mood to tell them how.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Thanks all for some useful leads. Sadly the tesco one is not duplex (hardly surprising at that price!) and that is something which I'm never doing without again!

Reply to
newshound

That's interesting. I had loads of trouble with my Ricoh. Perhaps they have improved things.

Reply to
GB

Well, the reviews are quite good and it does come with a two year guarantee. I bought it because I was pissed off with print heads clogging up, ink carts drying up and because I've no need to print in colour. I know that you are supposed to print a page off once per week, but I always forgot to do this. When I needed to print a letter the inkjet swines always let me down. I've got a loft full of the swines. I've had the printer for 3 weeks and have only printed one test page. It could be 12 months or longer before I need to use it again. It will do me.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

En el artículo , Another Dave escribió:

I got one for Mom. Cracking little printer and dirt cheap to run.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

get a used HP laserjet...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

+2. Been impressed with Lexmark too, though not with the price of consumables.

But really if you only need to print something on the odd occasion, any functional laser printer would do.

You don't need to replace the cartridge on most occasions, they're easy to refill. Do it outside on lawn or soil though, the black dust is a nuisance otherwise.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You don't say in which way its dying. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I bought a HP LaserJet 400 M401dw off an eBay seller for about £160. OK it is a bit pricey but it's an outstanding printer and it's the duplex and wireless model, and sets up in a few secs with no trouble.

Hardly had any print jams and not any trouble with cheap third party toner - the HP toner prices are ridiculous.

HP do know what they're doing with lasers - had a few others and all have been bombproof.

Reply to
John Smith

This is my third eBay Laserjet, I've had reasonable experiences with all of them. My second was a big office A3, it worked fine except that it usually jammed on Duplex A3. I binned it for a new Brother inkjet when I decided I needed A3 colour.

My first was a 2300, the fuser failed (after a lot of use) so I bought another as replacement while waiting for the parts. It was easy to fix and I kept it as a spare, but have now passed that on to one of the kids.

When I first started buying them five or six years ago, they were obviously good value compared to "new", but my impression is that even entry level consumer stuff has got much better.

I probably print 5000 sheets a year on this one.

I am still in two minds about new or second hand, hence my questions here!

Reply to
newshound

Refurbed are often good.

Ive never had issues with print quality on a n HP that a new toner/drum set didn't fix, but paper jamming is the occasional bane esp. on Duplex.

Back in the day we found one sort of paper that rarely jammed and we stocked only that (small business I ran)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have an old HP laserjet 5 that jams a lot, about every 6th sheet. It seldom gets used, but is a real pain on the odd occasion that it's needed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr