Fluorescent Lights under High Voltage Power Lines

What's with the voices in the background?

Try putting a few CFLs and incandescents in your microwave.

Oh and why do B&Q never seem to have any 5ft linier florescents?

6ft and 4ft yes, and complete 5ft fittings, but no 5ft tubes?
Reply to
Graham.

Tomorrow's World showed what happens if you hold a 6' tube under a set of pylons in the 70s-80s :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

We used to have fun like this with high voltage static generators at school. Probably not pass health and safety now. I also recall the dodgy practice of letting the general public visit medium wave transmitter halls when they used water cooled valves and they even gave us little neon bulbs to hold and wave around near to the high voltage parts and make them glow. We are still alive. The electro static buzz under power lines can be felt in my white stick with is made of ally. Just run your finger over the bare mettle parts and get a tingle. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Who is art? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's technically illegal to abstract energy from the national grid without authorization. I believe devious folk used to abstract energy from the Rugby long wave radio transmitter back in the 1930's by means of coils etc. Maybe they didn't have mains electric at the time.

Reply to
therustyone

There's an apocryphal story about a guy living at Crystal Palace who did that. They got him because he didn't have a radio licence.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Droitwich or Daventry - not Rugby

Reply to