OT: Laptop based music creation?

Hi all,

Trying to help a young family member with a laptop based music creation solution.

Apparently, her Chromebook (bought for WP / Web access, battery life and portability) will run the online music software they use in (6th form) class but only a couple of tracks at a time (not surprising, considering etc). In any case, she doesn't like that software but still may be nice to be able to run it properly etc (to join in with any class activities).

However, she runs Reason (8) on her desktop PC and I believe would also like that on said laptop. Reason 11 could well be an Xmyth present from the family. ;-)

The recommended spec for Reason is fairly lose:

"Windows: (we don't really want a Mac ...)

Fast, stable Internet connection for installation and registration required!

Intel i3/i5/i7/Xeon dual-core CPU or equivalent AMD processor with dual cores and at least 4000 CPU Benchmark points (see cpubenchmark).

More physical cores highly recommended!

8 GB RAM or more

40 GB free hard disk space or more on the system drive. (The full Reason installation requires a minimum of 4+8 GB free system drive disk space. Any additional external Rack Extension devices and/or external ReFills of course demand a larger hard disk)

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Monitor with at least 1280 x 768 resolution

Audio Interface with ASIO driver

MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard

For using Reason as a VST Plugin, a DAW host with VST3 support is required"

So, the chances are any laptop that clocks faster than 4000, has a reasonable res display, with 8G of RAM and running W10/64 would do it, it's just I'm not sure how I would know if it has an 'Audio Interface with ASIO driver'?

FWIW, I don't know that it has to be Reason, just that she obviously knows it (and these things can have quite a high learning curve).

So, looking for thoughts or pointers from anyone who has been there or currently involved in such things please.

Like, I don't believe any laptops (or PC's for that matter) come with a MIDI interface and therefore if you actually need one, you would get it via some sort of USB/MIDI box (something I believe she's already got to interface her electronic keyboard to her PC).

I think I remember our daughters Yamaha Electric Piano had both USB and MIDI interfaces (back then).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes so you will need a fast version of usb oon several ports. Also I think most people use external sound hardware. This then allows the internal rubbish to just handle the system sounds. I know no more, but concur that online systems like Chrome Books are a waste of time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I used reason 3 on a Mac, just to try it out.

I'd definantly go for more as adding tracks and effects need quite a bit of RAM, although I can't really say just how much, just the more the merrier for music.

Well at least disc space shouldn't be a problem.

Might be worth making sure it's a SSD drive.

I checked to see if I used one with my Mac.

it;s windows only and Mac has it inbuilt as core audio.

yes they do unless you have a 'flare' for music and it;s notation which I don't.

Most of my musician friends use Macs, might be best asking on a music windows group, not that I know any off-hand.

Reply to
whisky-dave