OT: Labour council bankrupt

"Slough council has issued a section 114 notice, declaring itself bankrupt. The notice means any new spending will be banned and declares the local authority doesn?t have enough funds to deliver or balance its budget. A Labour council, a LABOUR council?"

:-)

H/T Guido Fowkes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So?

Same thing happened to the Tory-run Northamptonshire council a few years back.

Reply to
Pent

I think its probably more understandable now in these covid days, since a lot of the revenue from businesses have been cut. Many councils are currently going to central Government to attempt to get some money. In the end we all know who is going to have to pay of course, do we not? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Will The Guardian do? Yes, we all know it's not really British (run from a foreign-based trust), but it's usually accepted as gospel by the left.

The Labour Party in government under Blair and Brown declined to carry out a Parliamentary boundary review when required so that boundaries are now mostly twenty+ years out of date. That's what happened. The UK's broken Parliamentary boundary system is currently being repaired.

The Labour MP, Robert Maxwell who is alleged, but (to be fair) never proven, to have illegally taken large sums out of the pension fund of his employees at the Daily Mirror?

Is that who you mean, that *Labour* MP?

Reply to
JNugent

Labour Slough, according to the reports from its own chief financial officer, was going bankrupt for years, due to simple mismanagement and has been insolvent for at least two.

QUOTE: Although Slough said its finances had been hit hard by the impact of Covid ? leading to a collapse in council tax and business rates income ? a report by its chief financial officer, Steven Mair, made clear the problems were deep-rooted and linked to accounting errors, lax financial controls and poor decisions.

?Slough?s financial problems have not arisen in the past few months. The approach to financial decision-making, leadership and management, processes, quality assurance and review etc that has been adopted by the council over a number of years was not robust and consequently highly detrimental to the council,? Mair?s report said.

Many of the problems recently uncovered related to previous years, the report said, and had they been know about at the time it is likely that the council would have been unable to meet its legal duties to set a legally balanced budget ? raising the prospect it could have been technically insolvent as early as 2019. END

JNugent