Stupid council

Somebody dug through a power main when redoing the pavement. The lights dimmed, a computer power supply exploded, and a broken LED light is now working!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Somebody dug through a power main when redoing the pavement. The lights dimmed, a computer power supply exploded, and a broken LED light is now working! I'll be interested in how what everything else treated as a brown out caused a PSU to do that. No smell. Just blew the 5A plug fuse. New fuse and there was a big flash inside it, and still no smell, just like a physical short. WTF?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In message snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.home, Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes

Most switch-mode power supplies take constant mains input power. If the mains voltage is lower, the mains input current will be higher - which is probably why the 5A fuse blew. Presumably some other damage also occurred.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

But that assumes that the PC was taking far more than 5A at say 80V which is more than a tad unlikely.

Why should that happen if it was happily contuining to run at say 80V until the fuse blew ?

Even a severe over voltage shouldn't damage anything in a PC power supply unless it is very bady desinged.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes that was my first thought, a higher current. But the lights dimmed for only about a third to half a second, and no other PSUs blew, including identical ones with a higher load.

However what's really odd is no burnt component smell. I haven't had time to open it up yet, but on replacing the 5A fuse, it flashed inside with a big spark and blew the fuse instantly. Again no smell. Only time you get no smell is a physical short. Perhaps the initial overcurrent melted two tracks together so now it's a real short?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Most likely the MOV died due to a spike.

More likely the MOV died and ended up as a short.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It won't be the council it will be Conway or some other load of el cheapo workers who probably never looked at the plans of the services. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Lightways. Fitting streetlamps, you'd think they'd know where the wires they're going to attach to are.

I looked inside the blown up power supply, and can't see anything busted, I threw it in the recycling, it was only a £25 supply 7 years ago. I was interested in what happened to it though. I'm going to assume under voltage caused over current and busted a weak old component.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey