Cabinet redoing

I am going to paint the cabinets we have in our bathroom. To do a neat job I would like to remove the doors from the hinges. However, I'm wary about doing this in case the screws won't connect snugly when I try to put the door back on. Am I worrying about nothing here? Is this something that's done all the time?

Paul

Reply to
D'Olier

My biggest concern is the type of paint you use. I cringe when I see latex paint being used for a cabinet. Try an epoxy or enamel spray paint. The screws should go back in with out a problem.

Reply to
houseslave

Joe gives some GREAT advice. He pretty much touched everything.

The only thing I have to add, is that reusing the screws can be a headache. Especially on newer hardware (hinges), the screws they send with them are crap. You have to be really careful or you will "bugger" up the head, rendering them impossible to turn. Be extremely careful when removing them and take your time and you should be OK. Otherwise, Joe's advice to get something to match and replace them may be best, if they are hard to work with. Some of the older hinges used a higher quality screw.

Oh...and make sure the paint is good and dry before replacing the doors.

Reply to
Amuzed2death

Suggestion: Replacing screws. Really small screw holes can be packed with a wooden tooth pick (or two), larger holes with a wooden matchstick, broken off flush with wood surface, before remounting the hinges. Get new screws if necessary; very small cost in order to do a good job.

Reply to
Terry