OT: Kirkby Moor wind farm

Kirkby Moor wind farm is visible from all over the Coniston lake area in the Lake District national park, although it isn't itself in the park.

It was approved over 20 years ago against furious opposition and its planning permission term expired a few years ago. It was supposed to be demolished two or three years ago but its London owners, Zephyr investments, applied to extend its life. This was refused. They then proposed to replace it with some more turbines two and a half times as big; this was also refused. An appeal was also refused.

They then called for a public inquiry and despite further opposition were allowed a further 10 years by the Planning Inspectorate.

If Kirkby Moor can be extended, despite being visible from the Lake District, then all time-limited wind farms are going to be allowed to carry on, seemingly forever.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Not unpredictable, big money almost always wins.

Reply to
Broadback

We need them. Stop whining. Others have had to put up with coal mining and power stations for decades. Much worse. Why should you be exempt?

Reply to
harry

Idiot. But not in AONB's

Reply to
Andrew

So you'd be quite happy to have a wind farm spread all around Cradley, Harry! I hope for your sake your neighbours don't know your views.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That's why we have the Trafford Centre around here. Locals didn't want it and it was proposed to be built by an overloaded section of motorway. The council turned it down - twice IIRC. Peel Holdings appealed to the Secretary of State and the council couldn't afford to fight it, so we are stuck with a massive shopping centre causing hold-ups for people who have lived in the area for decades - with queues even backing up onto the motorway at times.

Peel then managed to get a Rugby stadium built on the other side of the motorway and have tried to get a horse racing track, expected to have

15,000 visitors a day 3 to 5 days a week in the same place!

They have also managed to get a biomass power station there too.

Councils do their best, but simply don't have the funds to fight expensive court cases at appeal.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker