OT kind of- W7 install

Installing W7 oem on my new system, but using an old hard drive with vista on it, will W7 ask me to format the disk as a matter of course?

ta chaps!

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

I managed to upgrade Vista to W7 using the CD supplied (eventually) by laptop maker. So, assuming same bittedness (32 or 64) I think you will be OK.

But be warned, it takes a *l*o*n*g* time. Spent forever processing everything on the system, seemed to sort of export it all somewhere, upgrade to W7, then import it all. The actual W7 upgrade bit was fine.

Reply to
Rod

I know you're *supposed* to be able to do an upgrade install but, in my experience, it is always, always, always going to give you problems one way or another. Always do a clean install if at all possible.

Reply to
Dave

Agreed, I also use a utility to wipe the first few blocks of the hard drive so windows doesn't get a chance to analyse it and screw up the install by making daft assumptions.

Reply to
fred

I used the 'free' upgrade from Vista to W7 on my recently purchased laptop and about the one thing it didn't do was reformat the HD. Took forever otherwise. But well worth it. I get on reasonably ok with SP but positively hated Vista. W7 is more like an genuine SP upgrade.

Dunno about a fresh install, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)