OT Jury service. At 75? Are they serious? Again.

On 13/05/2018 20:28, Rod Speed wrote:

I would put an X in every box or someone else might vote on my behalf.

I can see some value in making people go through the motions of voting, unless apathy is regarded as a democratic right in itself.
--
Max Demian

wrote

No point here, the candidates have their own scrutineers who watch the counting of the votes so they would see anyone who was filling in blank ballots for theirs.

Yeah, presumably some who are forced to show up at the polling booth will actually bother to vote for someone.

Main problem with compulsory voting is that plenty have no interest in politics etc and don’t take any notice of the political news and its very arguable if it makes any sense for them to be made to vote.
And there is a real tendency for people like that to just vote for any name they recognise which means that you can get some well known people get voted for even tho hardly anyone knows what they are for policy wise.
Corse with the party system, it hardly ever matters what they are for policy wise, it’s the party that decides what happens even if that individual does get elected and their party is the govt.

The cry over here to make it compulsory is just a smoke screen. With compulsory voting, you can hide the turnout figure that you might otherwise get. Such as the drop in turnout for Westminster polls which over the years, by not being hidden, have highlighted the decline in apparent importance of the HoC under the onslaught of EU directives and regulations.
--
"Hard" and "Soft" Brexit are code words for Leaving or Staying in the EU,
rather than for the terms of our departure.

IMO its more because they don’t see much difference between the two main partys that can form govt.
Going to be interesting to see if that fool Corbyn makes any difference to that.
On 12/05/2018 19:44, NY wrote:

I agree. One or two days might be OK so long as it does not clash with something else, but some cases go on for a long time.
Do we really need a jury system, the OJ Simpson trial demonstrated that it does not always work very well?
When I go to foreign countries no one ever says to me that they wished they had our system
--
Michael Chare

No examples of that in Britain. And some examples of where the jury has chosen to let someone off when that makes sense to, even if the judge etc doesn’t agree with that result.

That’s just stupid foreigners who don’t know any better, even after the result the krauts got in living memory.

One trial out of how many?
But the US isn't the UK.
However, I do think there can be a problem with juries these days. All to easy to get extra information on the trial via the meja etc.
--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

On 12/05/2018 19:44, NY wrote:

I think one of the points is that the jury are ordinary people, _not_legal professionals with their slightly unusual view of the world.
I've never been called, and I'm 60 this year.
Andy

Dear oh dear, professional jurors. Imagine what a cesspit that would be after five minutes.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
On Sat, 12 May 2018 18:16:33 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

I was asked at the age of 64. I deferred it for 10 months until I was retired, since that involved less hassle than writing a detailed brief for someone to take over part of my job.
On 12/05/2018 12:36, Another Dave wrote:

IIRC if you "make an excuse" (like going on holiday) you get on to a higher priority list. Sounds as though it might be an automatic system that doesn't actually read the letters.
On Sat, 12 May 2018 12:36:39 +0100, Another Dave wrote:

Can you not just permanently disqualify yourself from service? That's what I did.