OT; Jimmy Saville

this has to be the gasp of the day.

I've copied it and filed it in case it gets taken down elsewhere.

The Natural Philosopher

The odd thing is, particularly given the allegations made about molesting i= ncapacitated patients in hospital, at my high school in Bury it was a commo= nly shared "truth" that Savile was well known for being a necrophile. Now,= no-one has quite made that allegation yet, but how the hell did something = so close to the apparent truth become a playground "fact", and one which I = have seen repeated on internet sites with sources from all over the UK (not= just my former playground!).

Matt

Reply to
larkim

can't help wondering who else has been implicated - we know one person who is vehemently denying any involvement. But who are the others?

Reply to
polygonum

Children's charities are to paedophiles as dung to a dung beetle.

Having said that as with any big company in te 70's the beeb would have likely showed degrees of abuse of power varying from outright 'sex or the sack' down to a quck grope 'all in the spirit of comradeship' etc etc.

I was groped by a female colleague in the presence of her peers. I actually enjoyed it, which they were somewhat amazed by....not what they hoped.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

' Many years ago, in the '70s, I worked on 'Jim'll fix it'. Made at TV Theatre. And the whispers were then he was a kiddie fiddler. Of course such things were often said about 'stars' - but he was odder than most. Wouldn't rehearse or even sit in his chair for a lighting etc check. So obviously some sort of control freak. And the second he was finished he left the 'stage'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At the risk of being branded "unadventurous" (see thread elsewhere...), it works just fine with Explorer 8 on my machine that's only got sad old Windows on it. But then I never expected otherwise ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Scroll down and click on the play button (it's a sound clip)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Does NOT work in FF.

Reply to
polygonum

Loved his mummy though. Say no more

Reply to
stuart noble

Did anyone hear the clip of audio that they played on the TV when this story broke ? It purported to come from a sound engineer who recorded it covertly in Saville's dressing room back in the day. It certainly sounded like his voice, and that of a young girl that he was apparently trying to persuade to say that it was he that she liked best rather than some other DJ who I forget now. But how do you know ? Everybody used to do a good impression of his voice, and it might just have been a 'joke', given the fact that everyone who worked with him always reckoned that they 'knew' that him and kids wasn't quite right ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Another version here (with transcript):

mike

There's talk now of him having accomplices so presumably something could be done on that front.

Reply to
mike

Yes, very strange. On the one hand, slightly creepy wierdo so not surprised, on the other it seems strange that nothing ever came to light while he was alive. Even if there was a lack of proof surely he should have been quietly dropped from programmes and ignored by charities etc. It not as if he was that famous or rich or otherwise with some hold over those people with responsibilities. So I reach two conclusions, those who run the media and charities are a vulnerable and stupid when it comes to celebs as any putative victim. And that it is another unanticipated consequence of everyone living longer that there is less chance of all concerned being dead, buried, and forgotten long before historical revisionism catches them ut.

Reply to
djc

It did. Time and again. BUT who want to go up a against a national hero with a knighthood and a personal fortune enough to hire lawyers?

He's not the only perve with a knightood by a ling chalk, either.

Best way to attain respectability after a dodgy career/life is to spend money on charities. And whatever party is in power.

Best way to find vulnerable children is to support a charity that looks after vulnerable children.

He was both famous and rich.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So who's the 4th celeb to be named then? Come to think of it, all those

60s DJ types were creepy. Could take your pick I imagine
Reply to
stuart noble

Mike. That works for me.

I saw Jerry Sadowitz a few times in the 80's when I was at Uni. Back then he made a joke about Princess Di being killed in a car crash would make a good news story.

Reply to
ARW

> Thanks Mike. That works for me.

YouTube version here

ARW

well let's speculate on totally unjustified implications of pervidity..commensurate solely with personal prejudice.

Kenny Everett? as bent as a nine bob note yes, but not one feels little boys. Noel Edmonds? Well....all those woolly jumpers...Hmm Tony Blackburn? No,. Far to interesting a thing for him to be.. Paul Gambachini. See Kenny Everett... Dave Lee Travis? Probably not. One feels Bob Harris. I've always had suspicions.

The Natural Philosopher

> Thanks Mike. That works for me.

I know of him because he was rated as one of the best card magicians in the UK.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, I saw him back in the 80s performing card tricks at each table.

Reply to
Bob Eager