OT; Jimmy Saville

The people who may have known about it and said nothing were complicit in a crime and also showed a dereliction of duty.

At the very least they should be removed from an office of trust and replaced with real carers.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

TV show floor attendants and cameramen are now "carers" or in "offices of trust"?

Most of the people involved at Broadmoor and at Stoke Mandeville in the '70s will have retired or died by now anyway. They may well be involved in the current OAP care problems as victims themselves. which could possibly be considered to be poetic justice.

Reply to
John Williamson

Alan Turing was arrested and came to trial on 31 March 1952, after the police learned of his sexual relationship with a young Manchester man.

He made no serious denial or defence, instead telling everyone that he saw no wrong with his actions. He was particularly concerned to be open about his sexuality even in the hard and unsympathetic atmosphere of Manchester engineering.

Rather than go to prison he accepted, for the period of a year, injections of oestrogen intended to neutralise his libido.

Weatherlawyer

You are ignorant and parochial. You have no idea what goes on in the rest of the world.

Reply to
harry

Back then it wasn't criminal though was it? And we didn't have a lot of this drivelish law devised by lawyers so they could make money. The scum are positively salivating at the thought of all the "compo" claims we shall have no doubt. These are the real parasites in our society.

Reply to
harry

So anything that is not actually criminal is OK?

Salivating! - much as you feel about FIT?

Reply to
polygonum

Nor would having the death penalty for disagreeing with a dictator. So what exactly is your point? That some countries are lacking the basics of civilization? Or have you the sadly quite common male view that all females are begging for it - and if the man gets pleasure from an act of abuse, the female must too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So that makes what he did ok in your view?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm now fully aware that Harry is a bit of a half-wit himself. Quite what bit, I dread to think.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There's another fiddling old bastard now.

Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm not advocating what did you dope. I'm just pointing out that it's a cultural thing and that's all. But here's no doubt there are lots of people getting on the bandwagon and lots no doubt will be out to rob the licence payer for a compo job. No doubt there will be lots of scumbag solicitors ready to show them how.

Reply to
harry

Bye and large yes.

We have too much law. Created so the criminal lawyer class can rip off the population at large. As if we don't have enough with banksters.

Reply to
harry

Murder was OK before someone decided to create a law that makes it criminal? Go back a long way, if Adam had murdered Eve that would have been OK - but making love to her was against the law so it wasn't. Or even eating an apple.

Reply to
polygonum

You think a 'culture' that makes it ok for an adult to assault a child ok? Or ok to assault another adult? Of course they exist, but it says much about your thinking if you feel the need to mention them.

Please don't speak for others. You may have 'no doubt' but that is simply a guess. And designed to lessen the validity of genuine cases.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Harry didn't say it was OK, he said that some cultures think it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

bloke after he abused someone by phone on air.

I don't think we need a public enquiry, what we need are more Rupert Murdochs.

Ah wait... fiddling with dead girls...

Hmmm...

Reply to
Weatherlawyer