OT: its midday and its midsummer...but...

Only 3.4GW of solar power..

Goes right along with the 'Use two extra stops on your lens' (4 times less light) when its overcast..

God, renewable energy is such utter crap. Wind is not much better at

4.5GW or thereabouts.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like we need more solar panels and more windmills :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

I wanted to buy a gas powered heat pump for the house. It's an air source heat pump, and the heat output is about 1.5 times the gas energy going in. These things are very expensive, by the way, but they save a third on your gas bill and reduce CO2 emissions by a third.

There is a sizeable grant available from the government for heat pumps, which would help to defray the capital cost. However, some bright spark of a minister overruled his department and insisted that the grant should only be for electric heat pumps. These are more efficient, with an output of 2.5 times the electricity energy input. Only, electricity costs three times as much as gas, so nobody is buying the things. Sigh.

Reply to
GB

What's the problem? We're not using coal so another "coal free day" and Biomass is green isn't it - isn't it???

Reply to
AnthonyL

Or more nuclear.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

No,it isn't.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

And/Or (a lot) more (carefully installed) insulation

Reply to
Andrew

The RHI which works as a payback over several years, not an upfront grant, is closing to new systems, you have to be fully commissioned by March 2021 to qualify.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I believe it's mostly whitish grey

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Possibly only in the summer when you may want air conditioning and probably a lot less efficient in mid winter when you could do with some heating.

2025 for no gas, no petrol, no log burners ...... only electric.
Reply to
alan_m

Ah well its joined up thinking you see; they want ultimately get people to stop using gas for domestic heating altogether, so it can all be done with nice green electricity provided by solar and wind... that half the time depends on gas fired peaking plant to make it work!

Reply to
John Rumm

They will quietly close all these renewable scams and watch it all wither.

All the time publishing how carbon free they will be...one day...Oddly enough Nuclear is getting a bit of a publicity boost.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More insulation might help reduce gas/oil/solid fuel consumption but it won't do much to reduce electricity demand.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Don't you believe it.

It would wreck the country

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I heat my house with electricity. Lots of people do (did)

Reply to
Andrew

Millions of older houses have little or poor insulation and Part L(2006) seems to be being ignored by people when they have external walls replastered.

Flat roofing people are still slapping insulation on top of a ventilated (flat) cold roof, which is a complete waste of time and money.

Reply to
Andrew

True. Let's get even more into bed with the Chinese. Far more democratic than the EU. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Except that certain parts of the media are taking the opportunity to do some China bashing about the Bradwell site.

Reply to
newshound

Green stuff doesn't burn very well, as any gardener from before bonfires were non-PC will tell you. :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

And batteries, of course. Don't forget the batteries. Going to solve everything!

Reply to
Chris Hogg