OT: It couldnt happen to a nicer newspaper..

"Since you're here ...

... we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever. But far fewer are paying for it. And advertising revenues are falling fast. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Guardian's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters - because it might well be your perspective, too.

If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to pay for it, our future would be much more secure. You can give money to the Guardian in less than a minute."

Obviously no one likes their reporting or is prepared to pay for it, and no one want to advertise with them either.

Oh dear oh dear.

Perhaps they can get EU funding...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not so different to the Wikipedia model. Telegraph OTOH is behind a paywall.

Reply to
newshound

The Guardian loses money hand over fist. If it weren't for the fact that they own the Exchange & Mart, they would have gone down years ago.

Reply to
Huge

Not so as you would notice.

Simply get the delete site cookies plugin and exercise it every half dozen articles...if you actually get to a half dozen articles.

Frankly the DT is all advertorials these days. There is no independent opinion in it. It has suppressed dissent by removing the comments which were the best part.

Its not even worth reading, let alone buying.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We'll miss it when it's gone.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The Telegraph's new online layout is horrible on a PC.

As part of the print edition's revamp last year, it tones pictures with a yellowish tinge. I cancelled my subscription with the newsagent as it was getting too pricey for diminishing news content and the sickly photos made my toes curl.

Once upon a time the Telegraph was heaving with news. Now it's full of lifestyle itemas and news-you-can-use. Ugh!

Reply to
pamela

She should have been reading the Express. Would never have dared to come here in the first place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting. I take it then you'd be in favour of controlling the salaries of all 'in charge' of companies?

That smacks of communism to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm assuming the Express is at the other extreme? I've never read it. I've bought very few newspapers in my lifetime.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I really can't remember when last I bought a newspaper. But did see most at work before I retired. And they were all written to suit the prejudices

- or special interests - of those who bought them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Express is a bit tit-and-bum tabloid, and a bit 'brave Sir Nigel' but it does actually contain real news*, and its editorial bias is so obvious and blatant its very easy to correct for it.

*though don't go near its 'science' section as its plastered with conspiracy theories presented as fact.

My identity there has been banned for being politically incorrect. So its not as far right as you might think.

E.g. today the lead is this:

It contains very little 'opinion' and seems to be factual. The bias of course is why it is the main lead story at all...

BUt since you can 100% say that the BBC and the Guardian won't run the story, someone has to..

In fact I just googled 'bulgaria bans burkah' and it's on breitbart, the express, the independent, the telegraph, the daily mail and the mirror., and a plethora of other minor news sites.

No BBC No Guardian.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Revelation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The purpose of the comments after articles is to find out what the readers want to hear. & then print more of it.

Reply to
harry

The story of Elvis found alive and well on the moon was true as well.

Why can't people see this?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Would that be the Mactoons? - I've almost certainly got the spelling wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's not the control, it's the hypocrisy. The Guardian constantly advocates for fairer wages but does do what it preaches.

Reply to
pamela

Maktoum family.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK ta.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Um, "doesn't" but I'm sure you saw it was a typo. :-)

Reply to
pamela

Because he has gone over to the dark side?

Reply to
bert