[OT ish] Titanic - New Evidence

I would bet that boiling seawater won't let the hull reach red heat. I guess I could do some sums for heat transfer once it was below 100 C, but the conductivity of coke will be a lot lower than steel, and there won't be much radiation reaching the steel, or much convection in the horizontal direction. So the temperature gradient across the hull plates might be 100 C? Might look at the sums later. Different story for a bulkhead, if fire is next to that of course.

Reply to
newshound

Isn't it on one of the channels with catch-up (i.e. BBC, ITV, C4)?

Reply to
newshound

Titanic had both.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

No, it was designed to remove coal.

But I would speculate that flooding it with nitrogen from the top would have been enough to do the trick. But you not only have to stop combustion, you have to cool it down. So nitrogen at around a few C would be OK (so you're not freezing the steel).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, so I now read. Well, I spose that if nothing else, I'm learning more about Edwardian ship construction.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I suppose they didn't flood it with water because of

Would nitrogen in easily transportable form and enough quantity to fill a bunker be available near the dockside in 1912 ? I suppose next someone will say it could have been brought in overnight from Germany by air freight.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

IIRC there's a big model of the engine in the science museum. Or was, when my kids were small...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris