Odd roof tiles on a cul de sac

All the houses are the same with the bottom two rows of tiles having different tiles to the rest of the roof. And that includes the garages and dormer windows.

I have not seen or noticed anything like it before. Is it decorative or is there a structual reason?

And it was a lot colder than in the streetview images when I swapped some outside lights there on Thursday!

Reply to
ARW

In message , ARW writes

Cue Phil:-)

Our cottage roof has similar *roll* tiles. Where they rest on the gutter board there is a long strip of plastic *elephants false eyelashes* to stop insects invading the under tile space. The Streetview image shows the roll tiles sealed to the flat section. Presumably some other form of ventilation at the eaves.

Flapping undertile felt in strong winds? Matching some heritage design to please the planners?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've seen it before on older houses, usually with heavy stone tiles rather than slates for the lower courses ... a quick run around streetview in that village shows these.

With stone tiled roofs in general, they seem to use larger tiles at the eaves

Perhaps over time pantiles came to be used when the smaller tiles towards the ridge eventually needed replacing, and then that style ends up being copied to appease planning officers?

I hoped the planning applications for the Church View cul-de-sac would be online and might refer to it, but they're not.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That was my thought, is such pandering /really/ necessary? Or do builders just do it because they think it'll help the application, when in reality it makes little difference?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It might do to the neighbours.

Reply to
charles

Steve Hall

Are they really houses for people to live in ? or just large dog kennels at the bottom of the garden

-
Reply to
Mark

The "Big House" in our village has two Grade 2 listed dog kennels

Reply to
charles

The projecting "sunshade?" is not strong enough to carry the wieght of the tiles.

I agree it looks pretty shitty.

Reply to
harry

Not unusual to find Victorian slate roofs with the bottom few rows at a less steep incline. I have always believed this to be an attempt to slow rainwater and prevent it overshooting the gutter.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

I think it looks quite attractive. Makes a change from yer usual anonoymous Barratt rabbit hutches devoid of character.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I think they'd look nicer if all slate, or all pantiles. If the historical reason for it dates back to times before guttering, then there's no longer any /reason/ for it and it looks a weird mixture.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That example looks like decorative, but on older buildings like my house the bottom couple of roof tile rows are at a shallower angle than the rest of the roof. These seem to be same angle different (flat) tile.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I think that's called "bellcast eaves" where the lower tiles have greater overlap, hence a shallower slope.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I shall (as we have no definite answer) call back at the house ask ask the owner if he knows anything about them.

He was a brilliant bloke and in the top 1% of customers[1] I have worked for. I suspect that he bought this house as a new build.

[1] You only remember the top 1% and the worse 1% of customers.
Reply to
ARW

Or "sprocketed roof".

harry

I thought a sprocketted youth was a young tearaway on a bike! Oh sorry you said roof. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Likely artificial slates. Very common for replacement slate roofs in London. My house has them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fairly similar to the originals used in Victorian times. Beauty of them (apart from cost and looks) is they weigh no more than real slates - unlike concrete tiles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Out of interest Adam, what would you regard as being the most common characteristics to qualify for each?!

Reply to
Mathew Newton