Germany - Steps on Roof (a bit OT)

Just back from a trip to Germany and I noticed that many houses had steps up the roof slopes and in many cases a platform near the chimney. I thought perhaps they were for satellite TV fanatics but there were too many. I mentioned it to a German I was working with and he explained that they are essential if you have a fireplace or stove so that the chimney sweep can go up without damaging your roof and with minimum risk to himself to sweep the chimney. I asked why this isn't done from the bottom - but the concept seemed to be to ridiculous for him to comprehend. Chimneys are swept from the top!!! I also saw many roofs tiles with what appeared to be glazed pan tiles

- quite attractive.

Reply to
John

And these are not just chimney sweeps, these are German chimney sweeps. The country is split into 8,000 or so districts for chimney sweeping purposes. Each has its own sweep - and there is only *one* sweep (plus assistants). Sweeping is compulsory. Councils fix the price. You

*must* use the sweep for your district: it's a monopoly.

PS You might think this breaches EU rules on competition. The Commission do. But - surprise, surprise - the Germans have just ignored them.

Reply to
Robin

I remember seeing a tv documentary about German chimney sweeps. It seems they do more than just sweep chimneys., also test boilers etc, so a sort of compulsory safety check on boilers and chimneys.

[1] must have been in a hotel room somewhere as I don't have telly.
Reply to
djc

In message , Robin writes

Nah, you're all wrong

The platform is for the crate of beer the steps are there to stop the pissed up buggers falling off and injuring people below

Ehrlich !

Reply to
geoff