Fixing a downpipe to tiles

I have a rainwater downpipe which comes down from a gutter and discharges onto a sloping tiled roof below a dormer window. At the bottom edge of the roof is another gutter with, naturally enough, its own downpipe. All this in conventional uPVC.

When the rain is heavy and the wind strong, the run-off from the intermediate downpipe is blown off the edge of the tiles and cascades down. I'd like to add an extra pipe run to direct the water straight into the lower gutter, but is there a reliable way of fixing it to the (heavy clay) tiles? Are there custom-made clips or similar? Or a practical DIY solution?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I'd be doing a little more fault finding first. if its overloading the gutter, then it will still overload it surely? What is needed is some kind of way to increase the capacity of the emptying of said gutter, say a second downpipe. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had a similar problem with run-off from a flat roof that was taken down a pipe and then discharged onto the slope of the roof below. The intention being that it would then flow to the main gutter. In heavy rain however it would emerge from the first down pipe with sufficient force to almost miss the next roof, and project off the edge.

I found that by adding some extra flashing to the top of the shoe at the discharge point of the first pipe, so that it forced the water to eject from that at a slight down angle, and over a wider area, was enough to get it to hit the tiles closer over a wider area. That stopped the wind flinging it off the roof. Then it would correctly flow into the second stage gutter.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bert Coules wrote on 18/05/2018 :

Could you make some brackets from thin folded stainless steel, which you could push up under a tile to hook onto a lath - then fix a normal pipe bracket on to that? Clay tile are usally just fixed in place on the lath, by a molded lip on the top underside of each tile. That makes them easy to replace, by simply levering the upper back edge up.

A folded bracket with a similar small lip at it top underside, should be able to latch on just like the tiles.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for the replies. Brian, the problem is not that the discharge is overloading the gutter, it's that with a high cross-wind it's not even reaching the gutter: it's blown away from it, to cascade off the side of the roof, where there is no guttering.

I had wondered about some sort of clips, so Harry thanks for that; and the thought of directing the flow with flashing is a good one too, so thanks John.

Reply to
Bert Coules