Flat roof

I assume we still have search issues with the Google archive? I can't believe there are only 4 hits for "flat roof".

My query concerns an extension that I'm considering building, some time in the future, on the back of my dormer bungalow, to replace a run of conservatories and porches of varying degrees of dilapidation. It will be about 12 feet out from the house, by 20 feet along it. My intention is to have a flat roof (with a fall, obviously), not least for the purposes of sitting on (therefore, a parapet).

So, a few practical questions, as I get my head round the design of the thing. Firstly, is it OK to go with joists onto the existing wall plate at the bottom of the sloping roof of the bungalow (probably removing the bottom row of tiles), so that the top surface of the flat roof meets the bottom of the next row of tiles up, and flash up under the tiles? if so, how far up do I need to flash? Should there be an upstand between the edge of the sloping roof, and the flat roof (there are ceiling height issues for the extension that make an upstand undesirable).

Currently a gutter runs along the bottom of the sloping roof. I was thinking of doing away with this, rather than have a valley, and letting the sloping roof drain on to the flat roof, and thence to a gutter at the outside edge of the flat roof. Is that a conventional way to do it?

Finally, if I'm thinking of using the roof (officially or unofficially) as a sitting area, what should I be finishing the roof with? A rubber system with lightweight roof terrace tiles on top?

Pardon the vagueness of my questions, but I'm just starting to get my head round a project that I plan to undertake in 2 or 3 years time (after I've finished renovating the rest of the house!). No doubt more questons will follow.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I have a roof terrace which was built some 20 years ago. It's ply on joists. With a bitumin surface over felt and grp reinforced lightweight concrete tiles on top. Think they're called promenade tiles. It's had heavy use and stood up well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)