[OT ish] Titanic - New Evidence

I wasted an hour of my life last night watching this.

Talk about over-produced hyped up horseshit.

If the progremme had not constantly repeated itself it could have been a third of the length.

So-called new evidence was sketchy in the extreme; but aren't the luvvies clever at reanimating old photographs.

At least it was not presented by Kate Humble.

Happy New Year campers.

Reply to
Vortex12

En el artículo , Vortex12 escribió:

My thoughts exactly. An hour of my life I'll never get back.

It would be interesting to know if the team that found and are exploring the ship have managed to get down to the boiler rooms, which might help disprove the theory one way or t'other.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Didn't bother to watch it - living near Southampton, I'm bored to death with the Titanic. It's a ship. It sank. As my mother used to say, worse disasters happen at sea.

Reply to
Richard

Who's she? No, sorry, it's OK, don't tell me.

There's a chap we know locally who was on the Lancastria in WW2. Spent

9 hours in the water after it was sunk. He 101 now, starting to look a bit frail.
Reply to
Tim Streater

The sub-standard steel thread of discussion just petered out.

It's curious that sister ship Olympic (made presumably from the same steel in the same yard) lasted over 25 years before being scrapped.

Reply to
Vortex12

Perhaps it never had a bunker fire. How common were they, anyway?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks for the heads-up; I can wizz through my recording in no time!

Reply to
Dave W

And in Barnsley they still bang on about pit disasters:-) Twas the Oaks disasters 150th anniversary last month.

So it was coal that sunk the Titanic? Was it Barnsley coal?, best coal in the world:-)

You cannot burn incriminating evidence with a WB combi boiler or come up with excuses at school such as "Sir my Dad was pissed on Sunday and he used my homework to light the fire".

Reply to
ARW

Why such a short life?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

According to Wikipedia: Competition from German & French rivals as wellas the arrival of the "modern" Queen Mary. I also suspewct that by the mid

1930s coal fired boilers wer going out of fashion.
Reply to
charles

Royal Navy ships shifted to oil much earlier than that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The other point is that those liners were not turbine driven either - they still used reciprocating engines.

Reply to
Tim Streater

'Fraid I didn't see it. New evidence for what?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Marine steam turbines were first used in Turbinia in 1894 and demonstrated to the navy top brass at the Spithead review in 1897.

I suspect she was oil-fired, simply because her dimensions wouldn't have allowed space for coal-fired boilers, bunkers and an army of stokers (she was only 9ft wide), but I can't immediately confirm that. The first big naval vessel to be equipped with turbines was HMS Dreadnought, commissioned in 1906. The boilers were fired with a combination of coal and oil.
Most of the ships that took part in the battle of Jutland were coal-fired, although thanks to Churchill's insistence (he was First Lord of the Admiralty), all naval vessels constructed after 1914 were oil-fired.

The Titanic had a combination of reciprocating piston engines and a low-pressure turbine on the end, but was coal fired.

However, the Mauritania, launched a few years before the Titanic, was fully equipped with turbines.
but as built was coal fired and only converted to oil in 1921.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The claim is that Titanic sailed with a coal bunker fire in progress, and that by the time the coal was shifted, the adjacent bulkhead had been fatally weakened so that it failed rather than holding the sea back after the iceberg strike (which would supposedly have allowed enough time for everyone to be saved).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ta! I wondered if it was related to the conspiracy theory which says that the identities of the Titanic and Olympic were swapped, and that it was actually the Olympic which sank.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It will be crap rivets next!

Reply to
ARW

Didn't they do that a few years ago? And they showed the rivets were no different to any of that time.

If she had hit the iceberg head-on, and only stove in the bows, she would have survived, because fewer compartments would have flooded, but steering to try and avoid the iceberg was actually her undoing.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'm just amazed she made to to the moon.

Reply to
ARW

The Winky article says that IIRC the cast iron rivets were at the limit of their capabilities, but as you say that was probably SOP for the day. As was not having enough life boats, which was standard practice.

I noted the Winky articles make no mention of fire at all. They do mention the turbine, which, when the ship was put into reverse, unlike the other engines could not be reversed, so it was stopped, along with its centrally located prop. Which apparently reduced the effectiveness of the rudder. IOW, if he'd just steered and left the engines at full ahead, he'd have missed the iceberg.

Reply to
Tim Streater