Wiki upgrade and new toys

Hi,

We have upgraded the wiki to use the latest version of media wiki

(should not make much difference in practice).

However we have also added the "math" component to it as well, so you can now include proper formula and other mathematical notation in the layout and have it rendered currently.

So for example:

more detail on the options available here:

John Rumm

Useful page that. Next time I need a symbol it'll save time rather than searching through umpteen pages of character maps.

Thanks for all your work on DIY Wiki.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Ah, that explains why that's failed when I've tried to use it before ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I do not know what "the wiki" is, or what it's for, or how to use it. Your links don't help. You should do a sales pitch if you want to attract new users.

Reply to
Dave W

So you didn't click on "main page" in the navigation box?

You also need to learn to snip.

Reply to
Tim Streater

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't know anything about wiki but the math layout appears to be Tex. There are some great tools for doing math layout directly such as TeXstudio.

Reply to
Nick

"appears to be"? It says it is, right at the top.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yup, its a subset of it. No point in reinventing the wheel!

Yup, there are also some add ons for firefox that let you cut and paste formula between it and other document representations like MS Word or Google docs.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its a part of the UK DIY FAQ setup...

Unlike the normal FAQ which is built from static web pages that the FAQ maintainer has to curate and maintain, the wiki is more of a DIY DIY FAQ

- i.e. anyone can add to it or edit it.

So its an easy place to stick articles on whatever DIY topic you fancy, or to refer to for help on any number of DIY related activities. You will see links to it frequently quoted in answers to questions here, and it will also come up in google searches.

The topics cover a wide range of stuff, from some fairly tecnical articles on electrics, heating, and plumbing. Many on building, maintenance and repair. Lots on woodwork, furniture making and other more hobby related stuff.

It uses the same software that makes wikipedia run, but its not affiliated to it in any other way.

To look for stuff, go to any page and use the search box. Or start at one of the category pages:

or the index:

If you want to contribute to it then start at:

My post was not intended as a sales pitch, just a note to existing users.

New users are always welcome though, so if anyone wants and account to edit / create stuff on it, email me and I will create you an account (we turned off anonymous edits years ago due to the amount of spam received).

There are currently just under 3,400 pages on the system with the most popular pages racking up millions of page view between them.

Reply to
John Rumm

Might be good to encourage users to report dead links. I found a couple when poking round the underfloor heating section. The Hep2O link goes to server not found.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Even better if rather than reporting it, they fix it ;-)

Do you know which one?

Reply to
John Rumm

There are dead external links everywhere. The bottleneck is not knowing they exist, it's having someone that wants to take the time to find suitable replacement links.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm not that clever:-)

Bottom of *plumbing* page... External links* HEP2O Design Considerations.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Isn't there a housekeeping function that would test for dead external links periodically and at least mark them as such?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Impossible afaik, as external servers normally return something.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks very much.