OT-ish: "Powerwall" - will change the way the world uses energy

Been available for decades. You need to check out the cost.

Reply to
harryagain

You can buy standalone PV systems and conversion kits for existing FIT sytems. (involves a battery) Not cheap. Dunno how long they last.

Reply to
harryagain

There's far too much. A costly embarrasmnet. As with other useless nuclear waste/scrap, no-body knows how to deal with it.

harryagain

Total drivel. There is a surplus off the now useless stuff from decomissioned nuclear weapons.

harryagain

The handbook for my car says leave fully charged. But never flat.

BTW, no sign of any degradation in my car battery yet. I never rapid charge it though.

Reply to
harryagain

Only because of tax/subsidy reasons.

Reply to
harryagain

Sounds the same as a powerwall ... funny that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nah. One is AC mains (up to) 30amp. and one is DC. Uses the on-board rectifier for AC charging

The DC is fast charge, around 60Kw. Charges a car in 20/30 mins to 80% Two cars at once should dim the restaurant lights.

The exra pins are for control circuitry. Eg Stops you driving the car off with the plug in the hole. Shuts off power if plug is removed. Etc.

They will never come into general use. Not enough lithium No power capacity for fast charge. Though maybe slow charge at home by night. Cost.

Proles will revert to train.

Reply to
harryagain

20min. How often do you drive 100 miles?
Reply to
harryagain

If you have solar PV, the cost can be zero for some of the time at least.

This is why the gov. won't do away with "road tax" andput it all on fuel.

Reply to
harryagain

What's one extra neutron between friends?

Reply to
Andy Burns

but, you'd proabaly need a second family income to buy one.

Reply to
charles

There's far too much what?

Reply to
Tim Streater

That is not Pu-238. Do keep up harry.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I noticed one at a little Chef a few weeks back and upon googling found they started to install them from about 2011. They must hope to sell a few things while people wait. For someone with a lot of time it may be possible soon to travel a fair distance by planning stops with maybe a stay somewhere overnight but then it's possible for a Bus pass holder to travel from London to Cornwall for no transport cost if they study timetables and stop at a few B and B . For most of us the cost of accommodation is better used filling up a normal car and doing the journey in 5 or 6 hours . And I wouldn't like to plan a journey once electric cars become more common place , it is bad enough at a filling station waiting for a pump to clear while somebody purchases a load of snacks and lottery tickets. Finding a charger is occupied and you are the 3rd in the queue each taking an hour will seriously mess up a schedule. Mind you it could be a new Pikey business opportunity. Clapped out flat bed transit with clapped out smoke billowing diesel genny on the back running on stolen red diesel equipped with a charger in itself probably knicked of a wall somewhere. Cruise around looking for stranded Electric vehicles. " Charge Your Car Up sir?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Harry's just confirming his ignorance of all things nuclear. As if we didn't know!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Useless stuff in all it's forms/isotopes.

Note. All plans to get rid of it. Would not be considered under normal circumstances.

Reply to
harryagain

Pretty much any day I work. 120+ yesterday. Weekly supermarket round trip is 50+ with a *minimum* of 1400' ascent/decent, the entire journey will have considerably more than that.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And you don't think the price might halve over time? Like petrol cars (originally only for the very rich), or computers or all manner of other technology?

That was rather the entire point of my post above:

Older electric cars were dog slow, pathetic range and used battery technology that was not going to be developed for other reasons.

The Tesla is the antithesis of that so IMO it has a damn good chance of going places.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We're talking about PU-238 availability for powering spacecraft harry. Do keep up.

Reply to
Tim Streater