Painting kitchen cabinet door fronts

Hi all, I've got some kitchen cabinets that are starting to get past their best but I don't want to replace the whole lot, or even just the fronts yet, so I'm thinking about painting them.

However, the doors have a surface that has a plastic and look and feel to it. Will paint take to this surface?

MTIA.

Reply to
Paul Herber

IME yes, providing the surface is well rubbed down and the first coat is applied sparingly and "scrubbed" rather than painted on. If the initial stages are skipped the whole thing will be very vulnerable to mechanical damage

Reply to
stuart noble

there are even special undercoats sold to go on this type of surface - but I've no idea if they work.

Reply to
charles

Ronseal Melamine Cupboard paint worked really well for us, after careful cleaning (sugar soap & IPA) and a light keying with wet & dry. Bright, smart and durable.

Reply to
Steve Walker

+1 It's been more than ten years, and still looks good. Careful preparation, of course, is essential.
Reply to
S Viemeister

But their website does say: "Compatibility: Bare and previously painted wood." with no mention of plastic coated wood.

Reply to
Davidm

My daughter did a great job on some melamine wardrobe doors. She took advice from a proper paint supplier who suggested something called 'difficult surface primer' (I think). She took them off, laid them flat & leveled them, then used a mini roller.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Another option is spray paint from e.g. Halfords

Plastic primers are available, but a wipe over with ultra fine 620 emery should enable standard spray primer to adhere

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except the word melamine on the tin.

Reply to
Simon Brown

I think, from experience, the secret of a good finish on any door, is laying flat and painting/varnishing in a dust free environment (not a garage...)

Reply to
Jim Chisholm

We just painted the cupboard and drawer fronts in our kitchen. They weren't melamine, so I'm not sure our experience is applicable, but I dismounted them, removed all the hardware, sanded back to bare wood, then gave them

2 coats of undercoat & a coat of F&B. I did all the painting in the dining room, with the doors laid flat on their backs.

They look great, and by remarkable co-incidence, we seem to have picked a trendy colour (a sort of silk bluey-green). I then got my tame carpenter to replace the worktops & I retiled. 90% of a new kitchen for 10% of the cost.

Must have worked, 'cos we sold the house yesterday for the asking price.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for the excellent responses, everybody, I think I'll have to give it a go.

Reply to
Paul Herber