OT ish Kids!

On _this_ group, I'd be very surprised if anyone _didn't_ get it.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Give them Meccano as kids I say ....

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Well I did but I'm buggered if I can remember what a bastard file is. It's more than 50 years since we did metalwork at our grammar school.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I remember the name, but like you the last time I heard it was at metalwork class at school. In my case a mere 45ish years ago. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well its not a big one, its a coarse one and they come in different sizes.

Most of the time you probably wnt 2nd cut of smooth anyway.

BTW I don't get it, probably because there is nothing to get.

Reply to
dennis

One grade down fron Coarse.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've had two women in my house who can't remember which way to turn a tap off, having just turned it on. One kept winding it anticlockwise until water was shooting out of the sink on to the floor. The other managed to unwind a bathroom tap until it broke (I will never buy a plastic tap again!) I had to rush outside to turn the water off.

Reply to
Matty F

Well I have a male relly who did that aged 9. But then this is a relly who having wired up an FM tuner (crap soldering job but still), turned it on and then asked me why there was no sound coming out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , Matty F scribeth thus

Same here if you show them they seem to get very defensive about such things coming up with "its too complicated" " I'm not technical" etc which is a shame really.

I once was trying the explain to a woman how you go about changing a wheel on a car and all I got was "I'll just call the breakdown man out"!.

So what if you were in a remote area no mobile or coverage etc?.

No answer to that!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Replace taps with lever ball valve, and grind off the stops so it turns freely

-- on/off/on/off?

You don't stand a chance otherwise:-)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

:-)

Reply to
stuart noble

How can my mother understand knitting patterns but still have problems with light-switches (operating them)

uppy offy downy onny?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I looked into this knitting lark - it's impossible & could never work...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gets marginally more believable when they introduce machines to do the knitting!

(Actually, my mother tells me that many of her male relations could knit

- seemed to have been common among sailors.)

Reply to
polygonum

I can knit if I have to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The first knitting machine dates from the late 1500s!

It was. I used to give talks on the subject, and always brought along old photos of sailors (and other men) knitting.

Reply to
S Viemeister

As long as you don't spend half your time in America

Reply to
F Murtz