OT-ish: car wheels/tyres

Close enough, though probably not legal. B-)

Same width just the side wall height 10% different or 12 mm. If the normal size is 115/70R13 then the 115/80R13 might be getting a bit close with fully flexed suspension or full lock. The speedo will be wrong and outside the allowed tolerance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , bert writes

155 vs 155 so they are the same width, smaller outer diameter too so I can't see where your fouling risk is coming from.
Reply to
fred

Spoil sport. B-)

Yes, 4WD helps to get you moving and stay moving but you still need to grip the surface well.

Current Discovery had some sort of kumho summer "go faster" tyres on it. Fine in the summer even in the wet (decent grooves to clear water) but the moment there was any slush or heaven forebid SNOW on the road it was hopeless, couldn't even get up a shallow incline with

4" for fresh snow on it. Tyre had no sipes.

Fitted the Vredestein Wintrac 4 xtremes from the previous discovery and it instantly became very sure footed, I chicken out before it does. B-)

I've been running the Vredestiens since Dec 2012, they were down to about 4 mm then and noticeably not performing as well as they did when new. I'm just running 'em to get as much use as possible. Have a set of nearly new Pirelli Scorpion STRs that will go on this winter not quite as good on snow as the Vredestiens but much better than a "normal" tyre.

South Tynedale and 1400'. Did we have a winter just gone? Might have been a couple of days with a couple of inches lying about bt not a winter. 9/10 amd 10/11 were a bit stupid though,

Well if you don't you know what will happen. But if you do, it won't. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Another John writes

You would be reducing the diameter of the Panda's tyres by 5.36% Your speedo would read that much more than your actual speed pushing you close to the legal limit of 10%, (The tolerance is zero the other way round)

bert

Oh! Everyone else I've ever heard of changes the entire wheel. It saves the cost of fitting and balancing every time.

I wonder how many times you can take a tyre on and off a wheel?

Amdu

Reply to
Vir Campestris

OP here - just to clarify ... yes, that's the case with me too: I had two wheels of a scrap Alto, to which I had fitted the snow tyres.

I deliberately didn't mention wheels, because I didn't want to muddy the main issue, which was tyre size. I haven't got as far as seeing if the Alto wheels match the Panda mountings, because of the expert chorus of ohhh-no-no-no-no-no! 's which my initial enquiry revealed.

So we don't need a debate on fitting Alto wheels to Pandas by the way!

And thus you're both correct: JimK is right that I didn't mention wheels, and VC is correct in that I'd be a bit daft if I was swopping tyres every November and March!

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

Only in the UK or similar places with a marine climate.

Being anywhere at about 35 degrees latitude or more with a continental climate makes it strongly recommended to fit Summer and Winter tyres, as the compounds are optimised for grip at different ranges of temperature, even ignoring the different tread patterns.

Reply to
John Williamson

I'd not swap tyres to do that though, I'd have an extra set of rims with the tyres on. Which is what he said.

Reply to
Clive George