OT Insurance and banks

Indeed you have to read the smallprint.

Be useful if one of the money sites had a comparison table that asked what you wanted to do (lump sum, savings) and showed the best accounts taking this into account.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Lamb writes

3rd party is standard on towing caravans (trailers?) You insure the caravan (trailer) and contents separately
Reply to
bert

Yes NFU used to be the cheapest for Land Rover products, mainly I think because they actually understood that a 21/4 petrol Land Rover engine was about the equivalent of a lawn mower engine. But then suddenly they went silly. I changed my Defender to LV= and it was a lot cheaper.

Reply to
bert

And so is Age UK Didn't you see the reports on all the deals they do to recommend products?

Reply to
bert

No, but as the insurance is all that interests me and the price is OK, I'll stay there until they try something then leave. Thanks for the tip - forewarned and all that...

Reply to
PeterC

Age UK have been promoting (for commission) funeral plans from Great Southern/SCI/Dignity for 20 years. During the late 1990s when the business was under US ownership as SCI it was repeatedly panned in the media for its unsavoury business practices, but not a word of criticism was heard from Age UK - I think it's fair to infer that their silence had been bought.

In more recent times since SCI spun off their UK arm as Dignity they have cleaned up their act but are, according to Which and other sources, still the UK's most expensive undertaker. So why aren't Age UK pointing people in the direction of reputable independents who provide a good service at a lower price? Stupid question.

From the Good Funeral Guide

"We?re here for you, not them

The Good Funeral Guide stands clear of the funeral industry.

We earn no money from advertising or commissions. We?re not in a commercial relationship with anybody. We?re skint and proud of it.

That?s why you can trust us. We are free to say exactly what we think ? and we do."

Isn't this what Age UK should be saying, not just about funerals, but about everything its clients need?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Are they OK now? When I was with them they made so many c*ck-ups that I left.

Reply to
Mark

IIRC every time I have switched bank accounts they have made a real pig's ear of it. Therefore I don't believe switching regularly is worth the hassle.

I have a flexible mortgage so any spare money goes into that.

Reply to
Mark

-100 for Swinton. I once bought breakdown insurance through them. When I broke down I found Swinton had not passed my premium onto the breakdown company so I wasn't covered. Swinton admitted it was their mistake but didn't want to sort it out nor offer any compensation.

They also had the cheek to call me frequently trying to sell me other insurance. I don't normally swear at callers but .....

Reply to
Mark

One thing to watch out for is that the policies listed on web search sites are often different[1] from those sold direct or via brokers from the same insurers.

If you just want the cheapest quote then a comparison site may be for you. I usually stick to a broker myself.

I did similar although AXA was no more expensive for me (this year anyway).

[1] Higher excesses, more exclusions etc...
Reply to
Mark

Not bad. Been there about 30 years and only about 3 c*ck-ups, none recent.

Reply to
PeterC

About 2 years ago I opened a Santander 1-2-3 account (Nationwide was getting just over the compensation limit and the interest is better in 1-2-3). Knowing Santander's reputation, I opened the account with enough to get the

3%, waited 'til mid-month and transferred all the DDs myself. Didn't take too long and only one needed paper. I then monitored the situation and all was well. Yes, it's some work but it avoids c*ck-ups from the bank and well worth it for nearly £500 a year in nett interest.
Reply to
PeterC

Last time I switched it was a condition that I had to use their "easy" switching service[1]. And I don't have enough money to gain much on higher interest rates.

[1] In order to get the switching incentive of £100.
Reply to
Mark

Seem to be...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It is a company that preys on the elderly and their misguided long term loyalty to a "trusted" brand. Caveat emptor.

Sometimes they do have reasonably good deals for the first year...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Quite, 0.1% or 3% of bugger all is still bugger all. My current account bounces between about £30 and the months out goings plus £30 . Any surplus goes into savings accounts.

I'm intreged why some one would have just over the compensation limit in a current account but the other interpretation is across several accounts with the same bank with a total over the limit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1 for the 123 account. Pays more than most savings accounts, and seems to be lasting longer than a year.
Reply to
stuart noble

Not all in the current a/c, of course! When I became an OAP I thought that I could simplify my finances - ended up with more accounts and more time spent closing and opening them as rates change. Not helped by my feeling that another 35-year investment isn't prcticable.

Reply to
PeterC

Tony Bryer put finger to keyboard:

So skint they can't afford a keyboard with an apostrophe.

Please pass these spare ones along to them ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

Thanks

Reply to
Scion