OT ICE engined cars to be banned in Netherlands?

All cars to be electric.

Reply to
harry

a7197136.html

Well, that's a bit of a leap. Banning sale, not use.

And not until 2025.

And the legislation is not a certainty.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A good way to kick start their economy if thy have made the preparations.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

A good way to kick their economy in the nuts if thy have made the preparations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, they do have a way to go to catch us up in terms of reducing CO2 emission per capita. 2014 Figures: Netherlands 9.4t (down from 11.1t in 2007); UK 6.5t.

and

But I thought Holland was flat and they all rode bicycles!

Chris Hogg

I expect all those in the eu who live neer a pwoer station which is where the increase in pollution will go, to take action if this goes on.

Its a bit like taking all your awkward to dispose of waste to Africa to keep it out of your own back yard. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They're pretty reliant on fossil fuels. That's changing, and I'd expect it go down a lot over the next 20 years. Their per-capita consumption of electricity isn't that high.

I don't think many on this group take CO2 production as a proxy of anything bad, though.

Seems that way from my limited experience!

Reply to
RJH

Don't need much range in the Netherlands. Also no hills. (Don't really disagree with you though).

Reply to
newshound

Netherlands has loads of wind and tidal power, I thought? Once that is set up, there's almost no pollution, apart from a bit of noise.

Using excess electricity at night to charge cars seems a perfect solution to the issue of how to store surplus electricity.

Please feel free to flame me if I'm wrong.

Reply to
GB

That would just add CO2.

Richard

I'd guess the vast number of Dutch cars are imported? If not all?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

whatever happened to DAF?

Reply to
charles

If the legislation goes through, I presume the Netherlands will invest heavily in recharging points. Hopefully by 2025 battery technology will have improved enough for people to be able to make long journeys by electric cars without having to stop every n-hundred miles for an overnight recharging stop.

If I could get an electric car that had the same range (700 miles per filling) and the same refill time (about 5 mins max for 60 litres / 700 miles) then I might consider an electric car. I wonder what they are like to drive. I presume electric cars have a single-speed gearing between motor and wheels, ad can set off from the motor being at rest, without needing a variety of ratios to match a limited range of motor speeds to a wide range of road speeds and without needing a clutch.

Do hybrid cars use mechanical transmission from the IC engine to the wheels, or are they permanently driven by the motor, with power coming either from the batteries or the engine driving a generator?

Reply to
NY

Still make (Leyland) trucks.

Spyker

Donkervoort

etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Me too.

I wonder what they are

No. Usually a couple of gears minimum

No clutch unless maybe a centrifugal.

Pass: I think both

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Disappeared without trace, hopefully. ;-)

Didn't it get taken over by Renault?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never considered an auto? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, Volvo.

Some 340s had the DAF rubber bands.

Looks like Volvo moved out - the factory is now making Minis.

Clive George

Ah - of course. And Volvo bought Renault. All Chinese now?

Yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They nearly merged, but that got rejected on the Volvo side. Volvo trucks did buy Renault trucks though. But yes, Volvo cars went to Ford, and are now Chinese.

Reply to
Clive George