OT: Ice Cream makers

I know this is well OT, but the gurus here appear to be quite knowledgeable in other culinary matters (Cookers, Bread makers, etc. ;-)

So does anyone have a recommendation for an Ice Cream maker, and the pro's and con's re. ones that you freeze first, or that have an in-built freezer (especially as the price difference would appear to be in the order of some £200!)

Thanks,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Can't remember the brand off-hand but we have one where you freeze the bowl first. It makes fantastic ice-cream, but never enough of it! I keep thinking I must try and buy a second bowl to use with it.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Yes, you want a good machine. Buy the most expensive you can afford, or take out a loan to pay for it. Rub all working parts with boiled linseed oil before you start, each time. You can save money by stealing salt from roadside bins. To clean it, boil the whole thing in caustic soda (but be careful!).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

knowledgeable

We have a Magimix one that needs to be pre-frozen. Like other posters we have often felt that a second bowl would be useful. One with an in-built freezer would be great especially if you wish to make more than flavour but I couldn't justify the extra expense personally. We tend to just keep the bowl in the freezer all the time so it is always ready for use. The bowl also makes a good wine cooler.

The best accessory we have is the 'Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice cream Recipe Book' - it has all the recipes for their shop bought ice cream and they are predominantly no-cook recipes which makes it easier to use on the spur of the moment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

Which? tested them in June last year. If you don't have access to Which? reports, they've probably got them in your local library.

Reply to
Roger Mills

|I know this is well OT, but the gurus here appear to be quite knowledgeable |in other culinary matters (Cookers, Bread makers, etc. ;-) | |So does anyone have a recommendation for an Ice Cream maker, and the pro's |and con's re. ones that you freeze first, or that have an in-built |freezer (especially as the price difference would appear to be in the |order of some ?200!)

uk.food+drink.misc is thataway ---->

The know a lot about Ice cream makers.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

David Hearn

Well, I like my manual (salt and ice freezing mixture) icrecream maker with a wooden bucket in red cedar that came from somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. Excellent ice cream, very fast to freeze.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Gaggia ice cream maker is the best by far, Gaggia sell "reconditioned" ones for GBP195

appear to be exactly the same as new ones.

It makes superb ice cream and will make batch after batch non stop. Each load takes about 40 mins if you start with ingredients out of the fridge.

I've used several others including salt/ice churns (which were good but very fiddly especially if you wanted several batches or flavours) and none come anywhere near the Gaggia for quality and performance.

Reply to
Peter Parry