a bit OT: Low level flue

Our neighbor has a low level Flue (about 2m from ground) which is horizontally vented directly onto our patio area (through a party wall).

The boiler and presumably flue was fitted a year or two prior to us owning the house (and prior to the 2002 Ed of Part J) although I am not sure if the boiler was previously in that position or not.

We have not used the patio much until now (our young child needs a play area now though) and are conerned that the postioning of the flue is hazardous? It certainly smells unpleasant when they are using hot water!

We have expressed our concerns about this on a number of occasions but the neighbhor has not really done much about it (although I think they did get the boiler seviced once FWIW).

The boiler is a Vokera Linea (not sure of model number). I beleive that this could be vented vertically through the roof, which will both changes the direction and raise the outlet by maybe a meter - would this make a significant diffence in terms of hazards and/or smells?

Are there any other options that could be considered to remedy the situation?

I am prepared to be amicable and share (or even bear) the cost of any changes but would obviously like to minimise costs and disruption to make any suggestion I take to them as palatable as possible.

TBH, I am quite surprised that the flue was fitted this way in the first place as AIUI the work was done by a reputable local firm - did the pre-2002 regs allow this kind of thing?

TIA & Regards,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Rules aside, it shouldn't be hazardous in a well ventilated area (eg I woudln't be so comfortable if it vented into a carport) but should have a wire cage (a.k.a. shopping basket) fixed over the flue to prevent touching contact.

Check where any pressure relief valve is located as that is more likely to cause an injury if it discharges boiling water.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks ...

We have a low plastic tool store below the flue, which prevents the relief valve from causing a direct problem as is is not accessible by accident (tool store does not block the relief valve aperture BTW).

Cheers,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Provided the terminal has a guard (if under 2m above ground level) then there is not a gas fitting problems. However the siting of the terminal does constitute a nuissance. Your local authority's environmental services may have a view of on the matter and may be able to advise.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

No problem with distance from boundary?

Reply to
fred

The issue is one of nuisance not one of gas safety.

If the terminal complies with all the clearances in BS 5540 and/or the manufacturers instructions and if it has a guard if it is under 2m above a place where someone can stand then it's compliant from a gas safety point of view.

In the case of a condensing boiler the plume is such a potential) nuisance the guideline is that it has to travel >2.5m to a property boundary.

In this case the flue is non condensing type. The issue comes down to whether the flue gasses constitute a nuisance in the opinion of the local authority, if they agree that the flue is a nuisance they can insist on something being done about it. The OP should exhaust all civilized methods of negotiation first.

I live next door to a house which at one time had 10 dogs in a 2 bed garden [1] flat. The dogs however would bark intermittently for hours on end but never when the guys from 'Barnet' arrived to measure the dBA etc.

[1] Er... that was what it used to be called it now has a large area of mud flats, a shed and two trees.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Gotcha, I thought I'd seen a distance from boundary requirement in the regs quoted here previously hence the comment but I realise you are the man with the knowledge on this subject.

Totally

If the wall that the flue is mounted on is truly a party wall (and I assume forms the boundary) then there should be no projection from it at all but that sort of argument is one which leads to conflict which, as you say, should be avoided at all costs.

Reply to
fred