OT: I'm confused about gravity

Is this not why the old Newtonian calculations were replaced by the Einstein ones?

Still we are suggesting its a force when in fact its not really, its the change in acceleration because of the warping of space time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hey, if that's what you say, I'm more than happy to accept your word on the subject. It's about time we went back to coal and started defoliating the Black Forest again; teach the Huns a lesson! Did you know they're forcing all British people in Germany to renounce their British citizenship if they want to stay after next March? Letting their true colours show now.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Are they re-opening Auschwitz-Birkenau for the ones who refuse?

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Yes, that's exactly what they are doing.

And they "know" to do that in the same way your fridge magnet "knows" to jump onto the fridge door over the last inch or so :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

And completely correct.

But it's quite a small force.

If you were standing 30km or so away from the base of Mount Everest (357 trillion pounds est) in Pathibhara which looks quite low down, the sideways pull on you (if you have a mass of 100kg) is 0.12grams-force

ie naff all :)

Lucky for us, gravity os the weakest of all the fundamental forces.

If it has a similar strength to electromagnetism (which is a hand wavy thing to say) we'd be probably a black hole.

Look at the sheer size of the Earth and the pathetically tiny force it exerts on your 70-100kgs. Although it seems to get stronger walking up the stairs :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Did you know a chain or flexible rope fixed between 2 points forms a hyperbolic cosine curve?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It must be. Otherwise where do the Dinosaures live in the Land that Time Forgot?

Reply to
Tim Watts

yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Although the Suns pull on the moon exceeds the Earths (apparently).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Bear in mind there's no quantum explanation for gravity.

Also bear in mind there's no reason for Time to remain constant. So speeding up may simply be as a result of Time contracting.

TL;DR : There's more we don't know than do.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There's the wonderful (and should be made compulsory viewing for flat earth types) scene in "Apollo 13", when they have to adjust the trajectory (having the calculations checked *by slide rule*) and Lovell says: "Gentlemen, we just put Isaac Newton in the driving seat".

As an aside, the whole film is a textbook illustration of teamwork. They should screen that for corporate types, rather than dick about in fields for an afternoon.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You're thinking of Burroughs' /At the Earth's Core/ and the subsequent Pellucidar stories. There's layer upon layer of bad physics there: not just the gravity pulling people *up* to the inside of the hollow Earth; there's the sun in the middle held in stable equilibrium and the moon that orbits round it in geostationary orbit casting a permanent shadow - though it's much too close for such an orbit.

Reply to
Max Demian

yeah. That's why it orbits the sun, not the earth (apparently) innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No big deal. Theres no quantum explantion for Sociaslism either.

How could we tell if time was speeding up if it was te smae everywhere?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

VVVVVVslight, gravity ius a VVVVVweak force . Almost immeasurable. After all the gravity generated by a body as big as a planet can be overruled by a little magnet on say a paper clip.

And compared to the mass of the planet the mass of a mountain is Bugger all

Reply to
soup

Eh??

The rope where the flag is will have a slight downward curve but it will be VVVVVV Small ,immeasurably so, compared to the forces exerted by 'the pullers' the force of gravity acting on the flag will be VVVVVVV small.

Reply to
soup

Nonsense. You need only know one particular conic section and the Greeks nailed that thousands of years before calculus.

Reply to
Pamela

Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.

;O)

Reply to
soup

IIRC, Newton proved it originally. I don't think he had any A levels. :)

Reply to
GB

Is it a force? I thought current thinking was that it was distortion of spacetime.Sure there is lots of information 'out there' about bowling balls on rubber sheets causing dents and these altering the direction of little balls rolled across this sheet.

I agree that unless you are a physicist concerned about these things treating Gravity as a force, in the classical Newtonian sense, works in the real world.

Wiki has:- Gravity is most accurately described by the general theory of relativity (proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915) which describes gravity not as a force, but as a consequence of the curvature of spacetime caused by the uneven distribution of mass.

Reply to
soup