OT: I'm confused about gravity

You can actually and a number of Australian politicians have had to do that and prove that they have done that so that they don?t flout the Australian constitution which prevents federal politicians from being citizens of another country.

Reply to
Jock Green

I agree you can go through the motions of that. So you hand in your passport (to your new country), they pass it back to the British Authorities, who mail it back to you.

This is what I was told when I lived in the US. That was 30 years ago, so perhaps it's changed now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, pi crops up a lot in physics equations.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Exams Mmm can't remember(probably they avoided it or you were expected to use 9.81 by the time I took "O" grades calculators were in use.), but I remember this g as 10 on class examples , homework, classwork

Why would being given the value of g make multiplication any easier?

Example:- What is the force exerted by 147 kilograms at sea level? what is easier to do 147 X 10 or 147 X 9.81 (no calculators remember).

Reply to
soup

Renouncing your British citizenship isn't done like that.

Reply to
Jock Green

I don't float. I sink.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Unless you're near a mountain.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Indeed. But they do have dinosaurs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Blame Archimedes :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

It would contribute only very slightly altering the direction of local gravity. It is entire spherical shells of material from the Earth that add up to give the Earth its gravity. So if you go down a deep mine the material this is above you all around the world all neatly cancels out.

Reply to
Martin Brown

There's pretty strong *evidence* for gravity waves. Also for evolution, and the inverse square law.

Reply to
newshound

Stop feeding the troll!

Reply to
newshound

Well, whether you do or not, you have to admit you weigh a lot less in the sea because all the surrounding high level ground is pulling you up.

That's very apparent when you consider the Dead Sea in which everyone floats, even you. That's 1412 ft below sea level, you see, so there's a lot more land mass above you sucking you upwards.

Reply to
Norman Wells

I've never seen one, and I've been to the seaside a lot. Have you?

That one's true. We're here aren't we? And we have a Conservative government.

But I've never seen an inverse square, neither. Why can't I buy one on Amazon?

Reply to
Norman Wells

Well, a gravity wave is inevitable at some level - if you shake something with mass, you send a wave through the gravitational field.

Strangely I seem to remember that gravity waves travel at the same speed as electromagnetic (ie light speed).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Of all the people who are trolls, Bill is not one of them.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The maths teacher said I was extremely dense.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Exactly. So I was right in the first place.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'm certainly not a troll. I think this is a very good discussion. I'm genuinely intrigued by what appears to be a paradox.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I thought it was something to do with the saltiness.

Reply to
mechanic