OT: I'm confused about gravity

Because any fixings along the string will be a bit low.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Its the same with a water level. But upside down That follows the curvature of the earth

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For a bit read 'within a tenth of the wavelength of light' i.e piss all in the big scheme of things

And surely if they were "critical" you wouldn't be using a piece of string to position them. Even my wife's phone has a laser on it that would be more precise than a piece of string

Reply to
soup

Supposedly :- Talking, after a lecture, with an old lady, of an earth supported by a giant turtle(the old ladies idea), so Mr Russel asks what's supporting that turtle OL "it's another turtle". BR "so what supports that turtle"? OL "Obviously, Mr Russel, it's turtles all the way down".

Pratchett's disc world was supported by a four elephants standing on a singular turtle (The great A'Tuin)

Reply to
soup

It's going to droop unless somehow you can manage to apply an infinite pull. If you pull hard enough the droop may not be obvious, but it will be there.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's much more severe. And water levels are rubbish if you're near a mountain. I have a mountain of paperwork here and it's completely upset my water level.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

OK I've got off my arse. I clamped a 2m steel straightedge in the vice. I suspended a piece of string of the type used by bricklayers between the ends, just to one side. Even with as much tension as I could reasonably give it it sagged about 1mm. That's a lot more than a tenth of the wavelength of light.

That's exactly what I said. Don't do it. You've lost the plot.

I'm sure you're right.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

og course it did.

Reply to
soup

Naaah. Small, very small, but eminently measurable.

Look up the Eötvös balance. Folks would carry them around and measure the horizontal components of gravity. See, a large block of underground ore deposit is similar to a mountain in its sideways pull, only less visible. But the sideways pull allows it to be detected. And a lack of pull is a sign of a less dense underground i.e. possible oil. So it is very useful in prospecting...

The Eöt-Wash group says the can measure to 1:10^13.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

In one of his excellent Youtube lectures, Susskind defines infinitesimal as " something small but non-zero whose square is zero".

Reply to
mechanic

OK. The why does 0!=1?

Reply to
Max Demian

Reentrant

This Wikipedia page gives Newton's argument:

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

'Virtually ' I learned a long time ago never(

Reply to
soup

Try this for size:

part of the usual defintion of n factorial: n! = n*(n-1)! and at n=1:

1! = 1*0! which simplifies to 1 = 0!
Reply to
mechanic

OK I'll buy that. (No wonder mathematicians avoided zero altogether for a long time.)

Reply to
Max Demian

I think that's sort of similar to the YouTube explanation.

Reply to
Max Demian

When I was talking to one of the lectures explain to him how I helped a stu dent calculate power disapation in a resistor I said I asked him what 6 X 1 was and he went to his calculator, the lecture said to me oh I'm a mathema tician I don't do arithmetic and he walked off smiling.

Reply to
whisky-dave

At least you can write the algebra into a Usenet post!

Reply to
mechanic