OT HS2 site entrances and muddy roads?

An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.
Is this really the HS2 starting?
Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021
Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2 proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.
And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at one of the sites right in the middle of a field.
--

Adam

ARW wrote:

Didn't think they'd even started on phase 1 to Birmingham yet, let alone the phase 2a/2b

Replacing pylon wiring? they like scaffolding in isolated places for that ...
On 20/02/2018 19:31, Andy Burns wrote:

That was my other though as that is what it looks like. But I cannot see any pylons nearby. These roads are not the sort of places you can pull up on to take photos.
--
Adam

On 20/02/2018 19:31, Andy Burns wrote:

The first thing that made me think of HS2 is that I am working at a lot of now empty properties that are going to be demolished when/if HS2 is built. Mainly around the M1/M18 corridor.
--

Adam

On 20/02/2018 19:31, Andy Burns wrote:

Fracking hell!?
ARW wrote:

Suppose it could be soil surveys for HS2
On 20-Feb-18 7:18 PM, ARW wrote:

A wind farm?

Colin Bignell
On 20/02/2018 19:53, Nightjar wrote:

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site is an individual site.
--
Adam

The Thorpe Marsh - West Melton 275kV lines cross the A1 and then run close to Hampole. It could be preparations for a conductor restringing and/or tower replacements. Will check and see if anything is scheduled.
Other than that how about fracking seismic testing?
On 20-Feb-18 8:07 PM, ARW wrote:

The offshore wind farm at Worthing involved laying around 30km of underground cabling. There were site entrances spread along the whole length of the run.

Colin Bignell
On 21/02/2018 17:18, Nightjar wrote:

Looked again this morning going in the other direction and with a bit of daylight.
Well some of the scaffold is for a pylon. It was just by the time I saw the scaffold yesterday the pylon was behind me. Some of the other entrances do not look to be near pylons. However a look at Google sat images suggests that this is actually the closest entry point (without building bridges or chopping down trees) to the pylons as they are in the middle of nowhere.
The first site entrance is actually down the track on this Google maps link.
https://goo.gl/maps/WFfPNszraCE2
That is right on the HS2 suggested route but there are pylons down at the end of that track.
--

Adam

ARW wrote:

Seems about right ...
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:18:44 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

We were lucky here. Only about 2km between where the cables came onshore and where they had to go (taking an under-road route). They did it twice, second time to add more cable.
Unfortunately it was my road to work.

Confirmed it's the 400kV line from Thorpe Marsh to Stalybridge.
Conductor replacement.
End of works is around September
On 21/02/2018 22:32, The Other Mike wrote:

An expensive rewire.
--
Adam

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 19:18:55 +0000, ARW wrote:

A new gas supply main? They seem to take forever to put in and run for many miles

Can't explain this bit though.
On 20/02/2018 19:18, ARW wrote:

Fracking?
Bill
Your local council should be told, when anyone starts a major project their permission usually includes cleaning up of public highways of mud and anything else that may cause danger or indeed damage to the road or people travelling down it. they will have had to make an application for a route to the site to avoid certain roads etc. At least that is what happened around here. Brian
--
----- -