OT HS2 site entrances and muddy roads?

An awful lot of roads near me seem to have "site entrance signs" to fields and lots of mud on the road. Started about a week ago.

Is this really the HS2 starting?

Most roads around Hemsworth on the A628 and lots of ones on the A6021

Any ideas other than HS2? Some of them look a long way from the HS2 proposed route (although that could be for machinery storage.

And a massive piece of scaffolding was erected in the last few days at one of the sites right in the middle of a field.

Reply to
ARW

Didn't think they'd even started on phase 1 to Birmingham yet, let alone the phase 2a/2b

Replacing pylon wiring? they like scaffolding in isolated places for that ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Suppose it could be soil surveys for HS2

Reply to
Andy Burns

That was my other though as that is what it looks like. But I cannot see any pylons nearby. These roads are not the sort of places you can pull up on to take photos.

Reply to
ARW

The first thing that made me think of HS2 is that I am working at a lot of now empty properties that are going to be demolished when/if HS2 is built. Mainly around the M1/M18 corridor.

Reply to
ARW

A wind farm?

Reply to
Nightjar

The sites are too far apart for that. The site entrances cover Brierly to Hampole but the site entrances are not linked together ie each site is an individual site.

Reply to
ARW

A new gas supply main? They seem to take forever to put in and run for many miles

Can't explain this bit though.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Fracking?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Fracking hell!?

Reply to
dennis

Your local council should be told, when anyone starts a major project their permission usually includes cleaning up of public highways of mud and anything else that may cause danger or indeed damage to the road or people travelling down it. they will have had to make an application for a route to the site to avoid certain roads etc. At least that is what happened around here. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The Thorpe Marsh - West Melton 275kV lines cross the A1 and then run close to Hampole. It could be preparations for a conductor restringing and/or tower replacements. Will check and see if anything is scheduled.

Other than that how about fracking seismic testing?

Reply to
The Other Mike

The offshore wind farm at Worthing involved laying around 30km of underground cabling. There were site entrances spread along the whole length of the run.

Reply to
Nightjar

Looked again this morning going in the other direction and with a bit of daylight.

Well some of the scaffold is for a pylon. It was just by the time I saw the scaffold yesterday the pylon was behind me. Some of the other entrances do not look to be near pylons. However a look at Google sat images suggests that this is actually the closest entry point (without building bridges or chopping down trees) to the pylons as they are in the middle of nowhere.

The first site entrance is actually down the track on this Google maps link.

That is right on the HS2 suggested route but there are pylons down at the end of that track.

Reply to
ARW

Seems about right ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were lucky here. Only about 2km between where the cables came onshore and where they had to go (taking an under-road route). They did it twice, second time to add more cable.

Unfortunately it was my road to work.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Confirmed it's the 400kV line from Thorpe Marsh to Stalybridge.

Conductor replacement.

End of works is around September

Reply to
The Other Mike