muddy well water

I bought a cabin about 1 year ago. The past 6 months the well water has been very muddy red color. This is not constant but is getting more and more frequent. I talked to surround neighbors, (same side of the mountain) and they said this happens around here - just put a whole house filter on and live with it. I on two in line filters on and with in about a 3 week time span both need replaced. Should I consider calling a well driller and insist on drilling my well deeper? I talked to one driller and he said if you got good water flow don't screw with it, you could wind up with no water!

Reply to
Evon

Sounds like iron in the water....

Have it tested, there are number of iron form: bacteria, compounds, etc.

But first step is to take it to the lab for testing.

number of solutions available, such as chemical treatments that injects chlorine or ones that use some catalitic reaction on filter, and then wash away iron with system backwash cycle.

see:

Anyway do your own research.

Reply to
Brian

if you fill a bucket, will the red settle out and fall to the bottom or does it stay muddy red? ask your neighbors if this is a seasonal happening or if it comes and goes throughout the year. definatly get the water checked and ask some locals of a well driller who can give you better answers about what it happens. if you turn on a hose will it eventually run clear or does it still run muddy. maybe you need to purge the point. are you losing water pressure??

Reply to
JerseyMike

I had the water tested and it is iron, but it was deemed safe to drink. If you put water in a bucket, the red substance will settle out of solution. It looks like very fine red clay.

Reply to
Evon